Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Wants to be TheFlipperGray
7,278 Posts
Don't get me wrong I'm thoroughly impressed, but that's pretty much just a Lotus with a supercharged/twin turbo'd Corvette V8, right?

It would be a pretty awesome project to build one without the Hennessey title, and would be a fraction of the cost.

· Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Don't get me wrong I'm thoroughly impressed, but that's pretty much just a Lotus with a supercharged/twin turbo'd Corvette V8, right?

It would be a pretty awesome project to build one without the Hennessey title, and would be a fraction of the cost.
lol. Sorry man but with the numbers that it's putting out many components would have to be redesigned. Only the exterior body design is lotus. The engine is a built/tuned corvette engine. If you just dumped a boosted to shit corvette engine in a lotus you would never be able to put the power down properly. You need to balance the weight, take into account the extra down force, rigidity of the frame etc etc. There is a reason why it cost so much to develop this thing. Don't get me wrong, someone may be able to do it for cheaper but talk is cheap :poke:

· Wants to be TheFlipperGray
7,278 Posts
Only the exterior body design is lotus. The engine is a built/tuned corvette engine
Right, that was EXACTLY the question I was asking. Not "oh can we just dump a vette engine in here and make pretty flames out the exhaust?!" -recalibrating all of the extra forces due to the increased power was pretty much a given.

When people on PW have their 1.8L Turbo I4's getting 350-400hp (180hp stock right? so more than doubled) with a few grand in upgrades, it really doesn't come as too much of a shock that a 640hp STOCK V8 with TWIN Garrett Turbos can get 1200hp (less than double stock). See my logic now? :poke:

Some math: Brand new Lotus Exige + C6 ZR1 640hp V8 + Garrett twin turbos + some lighter body parts to balance the extra weight + some mechanical know-how and friends to help < $725,000 any day. Can I do it? Absolutely not. I don't have the know-how OR the funds. But this wasn't about me, Chris, this was a simple question about the car.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.