Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I configured my B5 tip to sports mode and felt that there is quite abit of increase in vibration when the car is stationary and idling, say like at the traffic light. The vib is felt through the left foot and the hands on the steering wheel.

Is that normal? :crazy:

I actually can't take it and have swapped it back to normal mode. :oops:

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Doesn't "sound"/feel normal. I've had SportsMode for over a 18 months now and no such symptoms. Why can't you switch back to "NORMAL"?

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Restless the car is an automatic so if it is in gear it tends want to go on its own that vibration is the car fighting the brakes.

I think when you enable sports mode it make the tranny shift down to 1st every time you stop

I think when it is in enonomy mode some times it will start of in second.

I know the vibration you are talking about. I have changed my motor mounts and I am about to change my tranny mounts to see if it whill quell some of the vibration.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Phantom, when in normal mode and car stops at traffic light, i shift to tip, and the dashboard shows "1". So i dont think the car starts at 2 from stationary.

Anyone else shows a diff in vibration between normal and sports mode and perhaps know why??

Oh BTW, my original tranny's code is 00003.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Look what I am telling you is not bullshit.

Alot of German car have the gearing low enough that an automatic can start off in second gear.

My mercedes also does this the Tranny has a switch with two positions.

Position 1. Standard(always starts off is first gear) (When decelerating it will downshift to second at 20 mph.

Position 2. Winter(starts off in second gear) (Does not down shift when decelerating)

for the US market the Switch is labeled sport and winter In the European market the switch is labeled "Sport" and "Economy" In know this because I ordered an owner manual for my car and the parts guy accidentally sent me Euro version the first time.

ZF is the company that makes the Mercedes and the Passats tranny and they also supply other German auto makers to most of the trannys will have similar capabilites.

So even though when you use the kickdown the sport mode is enabled for a brief time this is not the operation mode all the time.

The passat tranny default mode is economy mode which is most cases will start the car off in second gear.

Now that you have changed the default setting the car always starts off in first gear now most of the time (the TCU still has some adaptive ability so it will decide what gear to start off in sometimes)

I have a tip chip which basically enables the sport mode and shortens the shift times and at the stop light depending on how hard I drive sometimes the door pin with rattle and sometimes it won't.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.