Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any ideas what this vibration could be?

Right when you doing 60+mph you get a slight vibration in that car! i though it might have been the wheels. But after upgrading to new alloys its still there. There is no vibration through the steering wheel or anything. Its like the road surface is slightly bumpy (nothing to much). IT just a slight feel through the seat. Any ideas/or anyone had this problem?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Have you ever felt this vibration before? Every car has some amount of vibration. You'll never have a perfectly smooth car.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Rhys said:
Any ideas what this vibration could be?

Right when you doing 60+mph you get a slight vibration in that car! i though it might have been the wheels. But after upgrading to new alloys its still there. There is no vibration through the steering wheel or anything. Its like the road surface is slightly bumpy (nothing to much). IT just a slight feel through the seat. Any ideas/or anyone had this problem?
Did you use the same tires with the new wheels? If so, it might be a tire problem (out of round, out of balance, vibration-frequency mismatch with suspension, etc.). If you used new tires, were they the same kind, and what were they?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nah not the same tyres as went from Steel wheels to alloys etc.

lol, its deffo something not right i been in all types of cars and they have always been smooth when on motorways/freeways etc as the tarmac is nice and smooth. However theres this costant slight vibration that keeps on in the car :(

·
Registered
288 Posts
Rhys said:

lol, its deffo something not right i been in all types of cars and they have always been smooth when on motorways/freeways etc as the tarmac is nice and smooth. However theres this costant slight vibration that keeps on in the car :(
What frequency is it? Once per wheel revolution, or is it more matched to engine RPM?

·
Registered
110 Posts
mycarsavw said:
Did you have the car aligned when you fitted new wheels?

Your tracking/toe etc could be slightly out.
I though about tires / wheels, but if that was the case then you would feel some vibration through the steering wheel, but in this case, there is no vibration through the steering wheel....

·
Registered
288 Posts
Rhys said:

Another thought - is there any reason a rear hub might be bent (slid into a curb, etc.)? That would cause some wheel runout and a vibration at wheel revolution frequency that would not show up at the steering wheel.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hmmm might get the car alined just to be on the safe side! Just need to get this sorted and car is 100% its one of those annoying problems. As for rear hub i havent hit the car, but i have only had it for a month.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Darth Volkswagen said:
What might it be if it was more matched to engine RPM?

thad.
I was just trying to get the nature of the vibration defined better. If it were at something other than wheel rpm, it might be a bad motor mount or an exhaust system vibration, etc., resonating with the chassis, and it probably wouldn't be a wheel or tire-related problem.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts