Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, I love driving my stock '02, 1.8t. It's so sweet when it's right. At about 80 mph, I notice how the road inevitably, dips and rises because, with every rise that normally causes cars to squat a little, a vibration occurs until the suspension is finished responding and the car is planed out again. When the road dips, no vibration, but I know, with every dip, there is a rise and the same vibration. When this downward stress is present, this vibration happens. The car has about 230,000 miles on it. I like this car enough to try to find out what's going on and address it. It's better than a car payment every month and this car is sweet! I can do many parts changes, even on these shits, but need diagnostic help. Any ideas would be appreciated.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Sway/Stabilizer bar bushings...would be my first (cheapest) guess.
do you know if they have ever been replaced? by 230K they probably should have been swapped out twice by now.

I don't know enough about which other forward suspension areas to hit next specifically...though if it only changes when going straight through rises and dips or does it stop on steeper/faster turns too? if it only happens going in a straight line it might be your shocks/springs/ball joints or other suspension components.

and again, at 230k...a lot of these things should have been replaced at least once.

·
Registered
26,288 Posts
Many different issues can cause this. Any of the (8) control arms, tie rods or wheel bearings. You will need to lift the car and check for play.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It sounds like I should buy a kit and start replacing these things. I am considering the $200 front end kit from 1a auto. It seems cheap though. I just want to keep it stock.
Thanks for the help thus far.
I'll post up results

·
Registered
26,288 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I've used them before. I'll check into that for sure. It's good to hear experienced knowledge and feel confident with these buying decisions.
Thanks

·
Registered
26,288 Posts
For my cars, I spent a lot more and got the Meyle HD. At the time, I was expecting to keep each one at least another 6-7 years. The cheap sets lasted only 50K for the uppers and about 70K for the lowers.

·
Registered
99 Posts
It sounds like a weight distribution thing to me. Check the front engine snub mount first. Going through a dip will push the motor down and if your snub mount is shot it will transfer the engine vibration through the chassis. It's under the radiator. There is only 1/2 inch of play up or down till its metal on metal and even less if your engine mounts have sagged a little. Easy fix if this is your problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts