Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I had my rotation done, at 55-65 mph it would shake a lot and vibrate, I had the tires rotated and now the vibration is kinda gone-ish, but now it's more towards the rear rather the front. I need the two new tires, get all four tires balanced/re-balanced, and the alignment in my car is very much far out as you can see from this picture of my one front tire.

Do you guys think once this is all done it will drive well again?

what is the best tire for our cars? I have two with good tread goodyear Eagle RSA 205/55 R16 89H in the front now. I know 91H is the recommended load index so my next tires I get I want 91H instead of the 89H.

·
Registered
6,143 Posts
Since the vibration moved to the rear, you definitely have an out of round tire or two - let alone showing cords ;) Have the tires replaced asap, suspension checked before alignment - which any real alignment guy does first.
FYI - when you feel it in the steering wheel, it's the front tires generally. When you feel it in your butt (seat) rather than the steering wheel, it's generally the rears. Exception could be inner c/v joints where you'll generally feel it in both.

As a former Goodyear shop manager a million years ago, The RS-A is not a great tire. Don't wear well and so-so in the wet. If you wanted to stick with Goodyears, go with the Comfort Tread Touring. Nice quiet riding tire. They're on my sister's Mk 5 Jetta and seem to never wear. If you want more of a performance tire, Continental has a couple of good tires. I have Yokohama Advan Sport A/S on the other car and can;t say enough good things about them.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do not like the Goodyear tires no, terrible in the rain. I want something that's a good ride as well as being good in the rain and snow. I was on tire rack looking at tires with all those ratings 0-10 and such. I think it was a Michelin tire that seemed nice? But I don't know, I don't really do tires that much lol. My step dad works at Firestone so I will get a big discount from there so they have to carry the tire or be able to get it in stock

Both axles as a whole have been replaced and they said my suspension was good and no not lowered. All stock oem

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is there a way to remove the fan and fan clutch without removing the bumper? Both are bad apparently.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Mike I have mentioned in the past removing the front bumper and pulling the core support forward sounds intimidating but is an absolute piece of cake. If you know how to work a ratchet then you will be able to put the vehicle into service position. It's about 14 screws total and then the core pulls forward. Don't be intimidated it's a piece of cake. Takes me about 10-15 min to do and I took my time doing it. Just have a container ready to hole the hardware you remove.

How To: lock carrier service position - TDIClub Forums

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm just so nervous I am going to mess that up somehow. I'm taking it to Firestone to see if it can be covered by warranty (my step dad is the manager of a Firestone now lol) and hope I can get away with paying nothing. I'll take a video of the fan clutch tomorrow. Could this be why I've been having some hesitation when I hit my pedal, and now im guessing that obnoxious noise I've been hearing was the broken off balanced fan. Should I not be driving my car?

·
Registered
872 Posts
The only way you can really mess something up putting it in service position is if you're careless. If you pay attention to what you are doing you will be fine

·
Registered
877 Posts
+1. Putting the front of the car in service position seems like a daunting task, but it's actually not hard at all. Just keep track of where all of the screws and other hardware go so you can put it all back together correctly.

I had been putting cheap tires on my B5 Passat for years. I finally bit the bullet and put a set of Michelins on it and I cannot believe the difference. I've never had tires on the car that had better wet traction and handling.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Tire recommendations...currently we have Continental DWS tires on our Passat, and I love them. I also had a set on my old GTI and my brother has them on his BMW. My only complaint about them is they get a little loud when they start to get worn out, but otherwise they've been great. Excellent traction in all weather. I always buy ultra-high performance all season tires for my cars...most things in that category from the big brands will do pretty well.

Also, don't fear the service position! The first time I did that on our Passat it was in the parking lot of the shitty apartment we lived in at the time. Just take your time and go step-by-step through the DIY (looks like someone linked you a good one above) and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
28,337 Posts
You should be able to remove the fan and clutch without service position. The hardest part is getting an allen key through the pulley to hold it while you use either an adjustable wrench (my choice) or a fan clutch wrench to loosen the reverse threaded bolt. I bought a pulley holder as it was easier than using the allen key.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the help guys

I brought it to Firestone for now for the repair possibly as that's where i had it repaired. I think they might be doing the warranty maybe. So if all goes well I won't have to do a thing. However, I now know how to install new headlights when I get some extra money :lol I am sick of looking at the yellow haze on them (on the inside from moisture D: ) I didn't seal the HID bulb gasket correctly.

I am going to look at the two tired and see which ones Firestone can get and what kind of discount my step dad gets :)

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Firestone says the clutch is fine but the fan itself needs to be replaced. How easy is that? Dealer wanted to charge 500 dollars for labor. I don't think it needs that much work for just the fan, right? And which one do I order? None that I have seen look like the one that is on my car now.

·
Registered
28,337 Posts
It would take less than an hour with the pulley holder and fan clutch wrench. It would be worth buying the tools for the job and re-selling them. The fan itself is held in with 4 small bolts.

Reactions: Mikey319

·
Registered
28,337 Posts
You don't need to remove the pulley at all. Just unscrew the fan and clutch together, then unbolt the fan from the clutch. I would not put the allen key into the bolt, it may cause it to strip out.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You don't need to remove the pulley at all. Just unscrew the fan and clutch together, then unbolt the fan from the clutch. I would not put the allen key into the bolt, it may cause it to strip out.
Oh yes I know that haha, just the video portion of where he actually removed the fan from the pulley.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts