Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok ive been shopping for a new car for 6 months now...(my first new car ever!! had my previous car for 11 years now) so my choice has a lot riding on it, ive come close to buying the A4, Accord, and considered the g35. But when i saw the Passat on edmunds, I said Holy [email protected]!, that car is sexy! and its starts around 20k! Then I discover this site and see the beauty and dedication behind these cars and their owners. I would almost say that this site pretty much has sold me on the passat. Sounds like a lot of ass kissing, but its the truth. But not everything is rosy with this car, or at least thats what i gathering from my so called "research". So B5.5 owners plz inform new vw newbie on these touchy subjects...

1. VW dealerships generally speaking, except for liberty, suck ass in customer service? They try to get around covering the warranty and blame the cust for parts that go bad? 1.8t.com rates these dealerships and most arent doing that well.. only liberty seems to really support the community and the owners. I want to know, does VW really stand behind their cars?

2. Vw's sold in some parts of the US are made in Mexico? WTF? is this true all the vins of the passats ive been looking have Germany as the build country, where are they built? i live in Socal so it seems that if they are made in mexico, they would prob be sold in CA for sho. Comments?

3. What does the warranty cover? everything, nothing? just the powertrain? I want to 1.0 bar chip, eibach the springs, and put 18x8 on in the first year, but im afrad that anything goes wrong, the dealer will blame the mods and not honor the warranty. Anybody been denied warranty repair even if its not the mods fault?

4. Coil Packs and Control Arms, the two major malfunctions? ok what do these parts do and is there a pro active way to prevent these from going bad?

P.S. they dont have a Silverstone/black leathered/manual in Socal right now so it looks like i will have to wait for the 04's in Oct, but if anyone has a lead on the dealership (LA or OC)that has this combo, plz let me know..
Thanks and your guys cars make me so jealous :)

·
Registered
8,200 Posts
Hi Po and welcome to CB5. I'll do my best to answer your questions.

1. I'm sure there are other dealerships besides Liberty that are mod friendly. However, oftentimes you really don't have any way of knowing until its too late, . In general, I think that because we have the one generation of Passat that is really an Audi A4, we're left in the unenviable position of being the "red-haired stepchild". ie. Audi dealers won't work on our cars because they're VWs, and VW dealers don't know how to work on our cars, and have no desire to learn how. This is just my opinion, mind you. Your best bet is to find an independent mechanic who is knowledgable in Audi products and whom you can trust.

2. Last time I checked, all Passats were built in Germany.

3. I believe the bumper to bumper is 24/24 and the powertrain warranty is 50 or 60K miles. Powertrain is defined as "any internally lubricated part". Its impossible to generalize or predict how a given dealer may respond to a warranty claim that's made on a modded car. It depends on the specific circumstances, and the dealer themselves. If you mod your car, you're rolling the dice.

4. If you buy a brand new Passat, you shouldn't have any issues with Coil Packs or Control Arms. Both have been addressed in running changes from the factory.

Again, welcome!

Kenny

·
Registered
615 Posts
Po-ass in a Passat said:
1. VW dealerships generally speaking, except for liberty, suck ass in customer service? They try to get around covering the warranty and blame the cust for parts that go bad? 1.8t.com rates these dealerships and most arent doing that well.. only liberty seems to really support the community and the owners. I want to know, does VW really stand behind their cars?

2. Vw's sold in some parts of the US are made in Mexico? WTF? is this true all the vins of the passats ive been looking have Germany as the build country, where are they built? i live in Socal so it seems that if they are made in mexico, they would prob be sold in CA for sho. Comments?

4. Coil Packs and Control Arms, the two major malfunctions? ok what do these parts do and is there a pro active way to prevent these from going bad?
1. Not ALL dealerships other than Liberty suck. I'm going to assume that since Capistrano is one of our sponsors, that they don't suck. My local dealership is pretty good (though certainly not up to par with Tim Hayes and his crew at Liberty). You have to remember: Someone who is pleased with a product or service will tell 10 people. Someone who is displeased will tell 100.

2. The cars formerly belonging to the B-platform (which included the A4, A6, Sköda Superb, and the Passat, and the reason I say "formerly" is because the Audi's are a generation ahead of the Passat, and are now being built on modular platforms, though they still retain the same build-location) are built in two factories in Germany. The A-series cars (A3, Jetta, Golf, NB, and TT) are built in both Germany and Mexico, though I believe a good number that we see here in the States are all mfg'd in Mexico.

4. Coil packs sit atop the spark plugs and recieve spark signals from the ECU. The coil packs amplify this signal and send it into the spark plug to generate a spark. There was a rash of shatty ones, but they've stopped using them in new cars. If you were to purchase used, that would definitely be something worth checking out. If you're going to purchase new, however, and it very much sounds like you're going to, then it's nothing to worry about. Control arms are suspension components. There was an issue early on with the B5 Passat in which the seals on the No-Maintenance ends (that is, there's no grease zerk) would go bad, causing dirt and contaminants to make the arm squeak as it moved through it's travel. It has long since been dialed out. Even if you do go used, I don't think any of the B5.5s have had issues with control arms (though I could be mistaken on that). It's nothing to worry about, however.

Best of luck in your purchasing, and welcome to the Club!

·
Registered
272 Posts
I would buy a Passat again in a second. The warranty now is 4 years full and 5 years powertrain. There is no maint. covered as in the past. The only problems that I have had with my six month old B5.5 are:

1. A bungee was left in the engine area on delivery. (Delivery Dealer fixed)
2. The driver door panel was creaking and had to be popped off and back on. (closest dealer fixed)
3. A rear deck rattle that was gotten rid of by a little insulation. (closest dealer fixed)

This "problem quality" so far is better than our Honda Ody van. The material quality is head and shoulders above the Honda.

I live in the Chicago area. I bought at a dealer (Autobarn) that got the color combo I wanted as soon as I saw it before I knew about Liberty or much at all about Passats and what you can do (thanks CB5 for the education!) The salesman I worked with was a VW Guild member and I did the buy over the phone. He was very very professional and no nonsense.

I have gotten parts from Liberty and they are really really great. I live about 1 1/2 away from Liberty (with traffic) and about one hour from the dealer I bought from so I just tried my closest dealer (Pugi) for my first oil change and those two minor fixes. The service was great. The tech road with me to make sure everything was fixed. He knew about some old brick streets and we took the car over to them as a rattle test. I was asked three times if I was satisfied before I left.

I put the 1BE suspension on right away because I considered the stock 1BA really really like driving a Buick. I love the car with the new suspension. I would put suspension (after the sunglass holder :)) as the first priority by far.

I think if you get this car and put the mods on you list you will love it! I wouldn't have major quality issues. Coilpacks have soured the stats on the cars but that is now a non-issue as was said before. Have fun!

·
4th Gear (Wax on Wax off)
4,974 Posts
The above posts answered most the questions. As far as dealers go I live dead center between 2 of them. The one I bought from and the one that lost the deal. Both have been excellent for service and the one I bought from was rather mod friendly the other is in a very small town and probobly not exposed to much modding. Both have bent over backwards to keep me happy. Outside of service my warranty issues have been a couple rattles and chrome replacement. BTW the dealer ordered the chrom and to save me driving 3.5 hours arranged for a body shop here in town to install it. As for the car itself I have had all kinds of North American made performance/luxury cars and truck and none of those compared to the B5.5 GLX for the overall driving experience. My brother in laws car kicked it ass in all areas but for seating .. then again it is a Mercedes 500 SL and I could have bought 3 for the price he paid.

·
Registered
17 Posts
All Passats are built on either the VW plant in Emden or the VW plant in Mosel (Not the river, but a city in former DDR). I've had one B5 built in Emden in Jan 2000, and I now have a B5.5 built in the Mosel plant from April this year, and generally speaking I have a feeling that the Mosel Passats are somewhat more accurate in the assembly and finish.

The Audi A6 (from Ingolstadt in Bavaria) which is pretty much identical if you look the cars from underneath aswell as the Skoda Superb which is a sligthly prolonged Passat from the city of Mladá Boleslav in The Czech Republic are the closest relatives you'ld find, but none of them beats the B5.5 in value for money. (The Superb is cheaper, but when you stuff it with the extras that comes for free in a Passat you're basically paying the same).

Rgds / Enjoy your European ride! :wink:

BTW/ The reason all Passat owners are soo much in love with thier car, is because since not even the best VW mechanics can provide for a 100% fault-free car, you just have to love it like a mother loves her child, since you're stuck with it for a while... :cry:

Just kidding....

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Po-ass....

First off, creative handle :wink:

Second, if you are looking for a hassle-free car, you might want to re-consider the passat. As a previous post said, you have to love this car to live with it... :lol: It has a lot of character as you might learn. All Passats are made in the germany, the only VW's partially assembled in Mexico (to my knowledge) are Jettas, Golfs, GTIs, Beetles and the defunct Cabrio. By partially assembled, I mean final assembly. Major Sub-assemblies are built in Germany, shipped to Mexico and pieced together. Some people notice quality differences, but you can find out for yourself. Just so you know, the new accord is definitely a car you should NOT overlook. Good luck!

·
Registered
7,337 Posts
Just covering your silverstone grey/black combo -

I think you need to ask a dealer to find the color in 03 because in the 04's, silverstone grey isn't being produced and the interior colors are changing a bit...

And remember, Tim and Liberty can probably ship the car to you...and work something out in terms of taking the shipping off the price of the car...

hth

Welcome to the club. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow, go to sleep confused and befuddled, wake up read the post, now im enlighted and wiser. Thanks for all the advise people, Once again this site is a major plus for the b5 and b5.5s, and Ive never seen such love for a platform. Now that these issues have been put to rest for me I can continue my quest to find a GLS Silverstone, Black Leather, Manual..
Thanks your guys rock :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts