Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can not find a comparison between the two. Mounting is not my concern but the quality of the optics are. Which is a better performing lense/housing? I might wanna get in on the GB for the Vestatecs but I have a set of brand new Hella Micro DE's sitting on my desk and wondering which will perform better. TIA

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
In all EU magazines on the tests Hella Micro DE won, in last 2-3 years. You can even buy them in HID technology, rather expensive.

·
Registered
869 Posts
kodomokid said:
I can not find a comparison between the two. Mounting is not my concern but the quality of the optics are. Which is a better performing lense/housing? I might wanna get in on the GB for the Vestatecs but I have a set of brand new Hella Micro DE's sitting on my desk and wondering which will perform better. TIA
You probably did the same thing I did... picked up the Micro DE's on the group buy about a year ago. Mine have been sitting in the box since then, too. No good way to mount them!

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Triumph said:
kodomokid said:
You probably did the same thing I did... picked up the Micro DE's on the group buy about a year ago. Mine have been sitting in the box since then, too. No good way to mount them!
Actually I picked them up from a local shop for $120. At least I think that is a good price. I know someone who can install them no problem but there is less of an OEM look then. Oh well...I guess you can not have everything :(

·
Registered
921 Posts
whats the difference between these fogs:

Hella De Fogs, Vestatec Fogs, Versatecs, and Votex Fogs
are they the same?
wich is better/why ?

Pic Pls
Thanks!

·
Registered
869 Posts
Hella DE Fogs are available for the B5.5, and can be had in HID or non-HID mode.
Vestatecs and Versatecs are the same thing, I think. People just get the name wrong. They can be had to fit the B5's.
Votex's aren't available anymore, they stopped making them in like 99 or something. You might as well count out them as an option for fogs entirely.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Where are the Hella Micros available from? I have always heard that they are truely a nice lamp and work much better than most. Although a bit expensive. So where would one look for them? :???:

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
The Hella Micros are great lamps. They look nice and they are very functional. I have the non-HID version. I unwired my integrated fog lamp from my 99 B5 headlight assembly and connected the Hella to that circuit. Also, I mounted them to the aluminum box beam behind the front bumper. I actually mounted them on a little extension plate that I mounted to the box beam, but that was only so that I could get them to the far outside corner of the lower valence. I have seen them set a little more toward the center of the car and they look great there as well. Hella does sell a complete kit for the passat with valences and the whole 9 yards, but this kit is around $200 in non-HID. I just used the basic kit from the group buy (under $100) and a few hand tools. The easiest way to attach them to the box beam is to drill and tap the beam. Since it is a box, it is very difficult to get nuts into the beam. A $10 tap and die kit will do exactly what you need. I do not have much in the way of photos, but PM me if you have any questions about my setup.

Carl III

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Chas said:
Where are the Hella Micros available from? I have always heard that they are truely a nice lamp and work much better than most. Although a bit expensive. So where would one look for them? :???:
Most places can order them for you. Evolution Sports here in Washington State ordered them for me. Just do a search on the internet. Evolution is also on the internet.

Bee

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ckatkinson said:
The Hella Micros are great lamps. They look nice and they are very functional. I have the non-HID version. I unwired my integrated fog lamp from my 99 B5 headlight assembly and connected the Hella to that circuit. Also, I mounted them to the aluminum box beam behind the front bumper. I actually mounted them on a little extension plate that I mounted to the box beam, but that was only so that I could get them to the far outside corner of the lower valence. I have seen them set a little more toward the center of the car and they look great there as well. Hella does sell a complete kit for the passat with valences and the whole 9 yards, but this kit is around $200 in non-HID. I just used the basic kit from the group buy (under $100) and a few hand tools. The easiest way to attach them to the box beam is to drill and tap the beam. Since it is a box, it is very difficult to get nuts into the beam. A $10 tap and die kit will do exactly what you need. I do not have much in the way of photos, but PM me if you have any questions about my setup.

Carl III
I am pretty sure that I will end up doing something like yours. I think the only thing different that I will do is run it off the battery through the relay. That way I won't have to worry about burning up wires in my electrical system if I decide to go with a hi-output PIAA bulb. 7500K brightness is your mirror baby! 8) Okay.....I won't be that unkind to others. Carl, the way you have it mounted, is it easy for you to adjust the aiming in case they become too high or too low? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Yes. Just pull the lower valence and you have access to the light and the little screw on the side to adjust up and down. Side to side is more difficult, but still doable without removing the bumper. I have a V6 and had to relocate one of my horns on the right side to install the light, but there was pleanty of room for it right under the box beam.

Cheers,

Carl III

1 - 16 of 16 Posts