Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Lefties have rights, too!
15,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of installing my Vestatec fogs (passenger side done) :) and wondered the best way to hook up the electricals. I'm kind of "electrically" challenged :nervous: so I need some help.

Since I have the "seventh switch" I could just connect the fogs to this switch in the center console. Does anyone know which of the four prongs on the switch I would use?

Or I could connect it to my "Euro" headlight switch. But then again I don't know where in the back of the switch to connect the leads from the fog lights.

Please let me know your oprinions and if you can answer these hook up questions.

Thanks,

Tom

·
Banned
373 Posts
Tom-

If I recall correctly, you simply need to cut in two new wires. In the harness for the headlights the white/green wire is the positive for the fog lamps integrated into your B5s headlamp assembly. Cut the White/green and then solder or use connectors to wire that up to the positive lead on the vestatec fogs. The brown lead in the head lamp wiring harness is the ground. No needs to cut that line, simply use a wire 'tap-in' to connect the ground lead from the vestatec fogs to the lighting harnesss ground. You are then done...the assembly will then work off the current headlamps switch in the car. If you want a bit more flexibility, you can add addition connectors that will allow you to easily disconnnect/reconnect the integrated headlamp fog should you ever want to remove or disable the bumper fogs. That is the approach I took. If you would like a set of instructions translated from german to english for the install, let me know.

Joe

·
15,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Joe,

If I take your apporach will the fogs automatically turn off when the high beams are turned on? I believe that this must occur to be legal in most states.

Also, does it matter that I have upgraded to HIDs for my headlights?

Thanks,

Tom

·
Banned
373 Posts
Tom Parish said:
Joe,

If I take your apporach will the fogs automatically turn off when the high beams are turned on? I believe that this must occur to be legal in most states.

Also, does it matter that I have upgraded to HIDs for my headlights?

Thanks,

Tom
Yes, the fogs will turn off when the highs are turned on. Just this past weekend, I was toying around with things and testing with my digital voltmeter so I am completely certain on that. If you look at the headlight harness, you will see four wires....brown (ground), white/green (fog), white/yellow (DRL/low-beam) and, i think, white/black (high beam). Since you are simply cutting the white/green lead to the integrated fog, all other function remains the same.

As far as HIDs, I believe there is no issue with the fogs but there is an issue with no daytime running lights. When I get my HIDs I'll need to sort that out.

Joe

·
15,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Joe,

Did you align your fog lights after installation? There is only one adjustment screw so not much can be done but I wondering how I should aim them.

Thanks,

Tom

·
15,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
[quote="Donuts]If you look at the headlight harness, you will see four wires....brown (ground), white/green (fog), white/yellow (DRL/low-beam) and, i think, white/black (high beam). Since you are simply cutting the white/green lead to the integrated fog, all other function remains the same.

As far as HIDs, I believe there is no issue with the fogs but there is an issue with no daytime running lights. When I get my HIDs I'll need to sort that out.

Joe[/quote]

Joe/anyone,

In the directions for the Vestatec fogs they also include a wire (red) that is connected directly to the battery as well as the yellow/grey wire to the existing wire harness. Don't I need to connect both? The third wire (brown) goes to the ground.

Thanks,

Tom

·
15,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I finally got the lights installed and they work. :lol: ! Thanks to ClubB5 for all of your help. :bow: Since I have HIDs I just tapped into the wire for the fogs, then connected the red wire to the battery (+), and the brown wire to the battery (-). No need to run any wires through the fire wall.

The biggest pain was the driver's side installation. :mad: There is a plastic shroud that had to be cut in order to fit the fog light. I guess this is an intake for the intercooler? Anyway it's done now and all I have to do is figure our how to aim them.

Cheers,

Tom

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.