Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

This is dumb I know, but what is the easist way to check if a 2000 B5 has the Sports suspension (1BE) or the regular suspension. I know you can check the codes in the log book, but as I bought the car second hand , and never had a log book, its not an option.

I know there is supposed to be a sway bar on the front if its the 1BE suspension, and having had a quick look, I cant see one (although to be honest, I probably dont know where to look either being a software orientated type of head).

I've just ordered an Eibach anti roll kit, which I know works with pretty much everything (cheapest way to get a rear bar here), but I want to be sure that I dont need to pop in a Koni/Eibach set of shocks/spings as well.

I suppose you can call this last minute paranoia/stupidity, but there you go
:D :D :D

Any pictures would also be most helpful is anyone can post a link?

thanks in advance!

T.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Like sirwierd said,
check label in the trunk or sticker in service book.
It is in last row and you will find there: 1BA or 1BE or 1BB or simmilar.
I presume you are with FWD car, in any case all Passats have OEM front sway bar, what FWD Passats do not have is rear sway bar. 4Mo Passats have also OEM rear sway bar.

What you can buy from VW 1BE (sport suspension) is: thicker front anti-sway bar, lower springs (-20mm from 1BA suspension), matching shocks. And if you are 4Mo that also rear sway bar.

What you ordered from Eibach is rear sway bar.

This is mine V6 4Mo with 1BE springs and Koni shocks

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys

I'll go check it out in the morning!

BTW, the Eibach anti-roll kit here comes with both front and rear (for some reason) but its still cheaper here than the Neuspeed rear bar on its own!

Thnaks again,

T.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
whats a 1BS suspension then...

Hi again

well I found the aforementioned sticker, and the only thing that looked like a suspension code were the eponymous letter "1BS"

Anyone any ideas? from vwvortex, it refers to a trim level, but it s the only thing that looks remotely like a suspension code...

Thanks again,

T.

·
Registered
225 Posts
The suspension code should be on the last row. You should have one of the following codes.

1BA luxury
1BB heavy duty
1BE sport
1BF heavy-duty coil springs for permanent loading
1BH spring & shock absorbor with spring travel limiter
1BJ heavy duty coil springs, armoured vehicle

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.