Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I took my B5.5 for a tire change. Two weeks ago the car was tuned-up and had an oil change. Everything fine, smooth and excellent fuel mileage (30.1 mpg). Suddenly the car began with a misfire when the installer handed me the car. I asked him, WTF?? The obvious answer you might guess "oh no sir, we just changed tires and did a wheel balance and alignment". The car crawled home as if just 3 cylinders were working (this being an 1.8 engine). Fuel mileage came drastically down and feels as if the turbo went on a sudden holiday! It is already dark out there and I have no VAG or scanner at hand in my actual location. I prefer not to take the car out in such circumstances. Anyone has a clue of what might be going on?

I might say that in the recent oil change, due to some confusion or lack of knowledge, the guy at the oil change garage overfilled slightly the oil deposit. When I went there to pick it up I checked the indicator and it was way past the full mark. Up about 200 - 250 mililiters. I asked the guy to drain some of the oil to bring it down to the specified quantity. I asked if he drove the car or for how long did he kept the engine running. Said about a minute to check for leaks and then some parking manouvers. That makes about 2 minutes. I begin wondering if my CAT has been killed :confused:

Would appreciate some helpful tip or similar experience.

Regards!

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Check codes first. A single cylinder misfire could just be a coil pack and may have nothing to do with the work that was done.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will take a look at the PCV, check the plugs and then have it scanned. I will post back any findings.
Thanks Hirnbeiss.

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
Two weeks ago the car was tuned-up and had an oil change.
When you say "tuned-up" what did they do? There are no adjustments for mixture or timing like the old days, so that is really an obsolete term. Perhaps they changed spark plugs and damaged a coil connector? In any event, don't drive on three cylinders unless an emergency, and you've disconnected the fuel injector connector for the dead cylinder.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mistery solved. Done some plug and unplug proceedings with the coil packs. The one in cylinder 4 (next to the firewall) was kaput! Went to the stealership (for availability reasons) and bought one. I will be replacing all of them shortly, the car ran smoothly with just 1 replaced, can't imagine with four new coil packs.
Thanks for your responses!
Happy driving.... Passats, of course.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts