Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
when i acquired my 2002 GLX 4motion Wagon B5.5 AWD automatic the speedometer, odometer, and cruise control didn't work. I did some research and figured it was the speed sensor. Bought a new one, went to replace it and found that the sensor had the plug attached however the wires had been broken off. I have new wire, and a new plug/pigtail for the new sensor on the front Drivers side trans-axle and i can't seem to find the other wire coming from the ECM wiring harness/engine bay( i see no broken wires). from the speed sensor: what direction, area, and or point does the wire go to complete the circuit? Details/Pictures and any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
26,821 Posts
It runs out of the wiring harness. You may need to cut back the tape/plastic cover to reach the actual wires. Look for the matching color combo, but I don't recall which colors they used. I might be able to check the spare harness I have to see if it's got the connector or if it was in the trans section of the harness (which I no longer have).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It runs out of the wiring harness. You may need to cut back the tape/plastic cover to reach the actual wires. Look for the matching color combo, but I don't recall which colors they used. I might be able to check the spare harness I have to see if it's got the connector or if it was in the trans section of the harness (which I no longer have).
Thanks for your input. Doing some more looking and clarifying some search terms I found this 2002 Volkswagen Passat 5-AT 2.8L Single parts adapter wiring harness harness for automatic single parts gearbox for speed sensor looks like it may be #9 closer to or underneath the ECM where it comes out of the harness.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I was about to post about the VSS on Bentley schematic 69/14, but it's manual transmission only!

So, off we go to Bentley schematic 41 for the Tiptronic...
Schematic 41/4 has G38 Transmission VSS
Schematic 41/5 has G68 VSS
Both appear to be in the transmission and connect via the 16-pin connector thereon.
G38: pins 10 & 1, yellow & green
G68: pins 5 & 6, brown & white
Both sensors are wired back to the 88-pin connector on the TCM. I presume the cluster gets its speed signal via the powertrain Canbus.

·
Registered
26,821 Posts
I've cut my harness apart to take out the air pump wiring to make a testing harness. From what I can see, I have a 3 prong angled connector with only 2 wires in it. I don't remember it it's the VSS harness, but it does have a heat resistant covering. The wires are nearly the same, but look to be a dark red and a medium brown. They have some weird white-ish residue on them, maybe from the tape. Here is the only pic I have of the trans wiring. You can see the engine speed sensor and the angled connector by the flywheel. I can't recall what the 3rd plug is. This does show where they come out of the engine harness above the heater core hoses.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've cut my harness apart to take out the air pump wiring to make a testing harness. From what I can see, I have a 3 prong angled connector with only 2 wires in it. I don't remember it it's the VSS harness, but it does have a heat resistant covering. The wires are nearly the same, but look to be a dark red and a medium brown. They have some weird white-ish residue on them, maybe from the tape. Here is the only pic I have of the trans wiring. You can see the engine speed sensor and the angled connector by the flywheel. I can't recall what the 3rd plug is. This does show where they come out of the engine harness above the heater core hoses.

View attachment 98941
Thanks this gives me a good visual. it appears to me: and i may be incorrect but visually speaking; there are 4 plug brackets on the engine bay wall nearest to the ECM 3 of which are in place from right to left, green, gray, and black plugs, the green seems to go down and behind the engine, the gray goes to the sensor on the engine, the black goes down behind the engine to an O2 sensor. the 4th plug mounting bracket is empty..i'm thinking this may have held the VSS wire & plug assembly, and before i acquired the vehicle the wire got wrapped up in the axle pulled the plug and wire off the bracket and the two wires broke off inside the harness, and left the vss w/plug attached with the dark red and brown wire dangling. So, I'll have to carefully cut back the harness to find the two wires and splice the new sensor plug/pig tail i bought either way. If someone else has an intact VSS wire/plug on a 02 wagon glx 4motion or equivalent and can provide confirmation that would greatly help. thanks again

·
Registered
26,821 Posts
The wiring VSS goes straight into the harness, I'll take a picture of what's left of my harness on Thursday when I will be working in the garage again.

The connectors under the coolant tank are for the front and rear O2 sensors, a knock sensor and the ESS.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The wiring goes straight into the harness, I'll take a picture of what's left of my harness on Thursday when I will be working in the garage again.
much appreciated, i should be able to definitely track it down now, thank you

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have the wiring harness disconnected from the computer and fuse panel, the sheathing carefully cut back and it's workable, i'm not seeing any broken wires in the bundle. does anyone have the wire color code, along with the computer plug (long/short block) and pin locations into the computer? thanks

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
See my Post #4. If you have an automatic transmission, the vehicle speed sensor does not connect to the ECM. Instead, it connects to the TCM.
The speed information is transmitted from the TCM over the powertrain Canbus to the cluster and ECM.

The vehicle speed sensor only connects to the ECM in cars with manual transmissions.

·
Registered
26,821 Posts
It still goes through the main engine harness and then through the white plug behind the ECU into the dash harness doesn't it? If so, he can trace the wires to that point and replace them from there. I'll check my harness to see if they match up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It still goes through the main engine harness and then through the white plug behind the ECU into the dash harness doesn't it? If so, he can trace the wires to that point and replace them from there. I'll check my harness to see if they match up.
figured it out, it's pin 10 on the black plug (next to the tan plug) that is behind the ecu. Speedometer, Odometer, and cruise control has been restored. thank you all.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Schematic 41 shows the two VSS sensors are wired to the TCM on the same connector as the transmission wires (for the solenoids, etc.). And none of those wires are shown passing through the connectors in the ECM box. So, presuming I'm looking at the correct schematic (and it's for Auto, not manual transmission), the VSS wires get to the TCM another way. I've never had to dig in to how the transmission wires get to the TCM (thank goodness).

OP, so glad you found your issue--I just wish I knew what exactly it was!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts