Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
04 2.8 4motion wagon
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping someone can help me because Ross-Tech is blaming my interface cord. I have registered version of VCDS lite, I have been using it on this laptop for over a year with same cord, the other day I had to have my computer reformatted and now I can't connect to my Passat. I loaded program again and activated but no com 1-4 work. Before I believe it used COM port 2. I use the USB ports for other things without a problem. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

·
Registered
27,867 Posts
Did you have to test the port before using? I get something like that everytime I get an update. I also have some connection issues with the cord or engine side plug. I have to remove and re-plug into the car.

·
Registered
04 2.8 4motion wagon
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hope your warming up down there PZ. I re-loaded program and tried all four ports and it doesn’t see it. It always used port 2 before. Ross-tech of course is blaming cord, they say it should be using serial port not USB, so assume driver for cord did any conversion needed. I plugged in several times to car, same thing on connection test, no com on all 4 ports. Tried for hours to load drivers for this cord from various sites but cord won’t pick it up. I’m thinkIng its some setting in computer thats way beyond my skill lever. So Im stuck. Will continue trying to figure it out, luckily my repair to power feed to TCU has fixed my transmission code but do need to check for any codes to make sure. Thanks

·
Registered
9,734 Posts
A USB-Com Port driver (VCP) must be installed in Windows

This is how to set up my VCDS Lite.
1 - Get 409.1 VAG cable (About US $10)
2 - Download VCDS Lite (FREE) and install in Windows. Ross-Tech: Home
3 - Download USB-Com Port driver (VCP) and install in Windows. Drivers - FTDI
4 - In Windows device manager; set the Com Port (VCP) to Port 4
5 - In VCDS Lite, set the Com Port to Port 4
Note: The port can be set to 1, 2, 3, or 4, but must be the same in both places.
6 - Connect cable to PC and OBD port, switch on the Ignition and test the port.
7 - Select engine and scan

·
Registered
04 2.8 4motion wagon
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Tomvw, tried again using your link, still can’t figure it out. I just get error as seen in picture. Doesn’t link up to this cord, same cord I used previously. I pick “update driver” still won’t install it. Will try for another few hours when I get home. Thanks
Th

·
Registered
9,734 Posts
Some cables do not use FTDI chips/drivers. You need to download drivers from the Chip makers website FTDI or CH341, there could be others.

Some cables use the "CH341 USB chip" for the USB to Com Port serial interface, not the FTDI chip.
If this is the case you would use the driver that came with the cable, or download a CH341 driver from the manufacturers website.

·
Registered
04 2.8 4motion wagon
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Tom, still trying to get it working. Have tried a few drivers but they don’t work with this cord for some reason. Thanks

·
Registered
35 Posts
As luck would have it, just today I received my "blue cable" (identical to yours) in the mail so that I could read & reset my airbag light. Spoiler alert, it worked! The package contained a CD presumably with the drivers, but it was cracked and I don't have a CD-ROM any more anyway. A bit of Googling, and I found this page with the needed drivers. It also has some good troubleshooting things in there that helped me.

The one thing that "got me" was that it wasn't clear that the cable had to be plugged in to the vehicle, ignition on, for VCDS Lite to recognize the port and let you continue.

Hope this helps you! Let us know how it works out.
Frank

·
Registered
04 2.8 4motion wagon
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank, will try when I get home and let you know

·
Registered
9,734 Posts
Thanks Tom, still trying to get it working. Have tried a few drivers but they don’t work with this cord for some reason. Thanks
When you installed the driver did it setup properly in Windows, and did you set the com port in Windows, to the same port # as is set in VCS ?

·
Registered
04 2.8 4motion wagon
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Tom, The problem is that I can't load any driver I have downloaded. I haven't tried the link from last post yet, will try today. Its just very strange because I didn't have any trouble a year ago when I loaded VCDS lite with this same computer and cord. Just keeps telling me that there is no driver available even though I direct it to file I downloaded. Will try again today, will update with results. Thank you

·
Registered
04 2.8 4motion wagon
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi spamgnome, I had been to that site and tried several times to load the driver and get this message after it tells me to plug cord in

·
Registered
35 Posts
I think I saw that as well. What happens when you click OK? Do you see the cord listed in your Device Manager under PORTS? In my case, the entire Ports section didn't even appear until the cord was plugged in.

·
Registered
04 2.8 4motion wagon
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
When I plug cord in I get this. (picture) then when I try to update driver I get other message.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Based on your image, you may be looking in the wrong place? Here's my PC (also Win 10). Again, if the "Ports" section doesn't show up, go up to the menu in Device Manager, and select View-->Show Hidden Devices.
Also, I never had to right-click on it to install the driver. I used the .EXE file from the site I gave you.

·
Registered
04 2.8 4motion wagon
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
When I plug cord in it gives me yellow warning on USB (picture), doesn’t show in Ports (COM&LPD). But since I had to reformat this computer I installed my Brother scanner which you can see. For some reason this cord isn’t showing there and I have run that exe. file for driver and get that “please download “ message. Just can’t figure out what’s different, worked before.

·
Registered
35 Posts
what if you unplug the Brother? Do you have a 2nd computer? I suppose there's also a chance that the cord is somehow "bad" The fact that it shows in the "wrong" section might be a clue. Did it appear in the same place when it did work? I'm afraid I'm running out of ideas!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts