Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks,
I need your input. I am contemplating getting a Variant, due to the growing family and am considering both the W8 and the Audi Allroad. Since I am not in a rush, I would most likely be waiting for a 6 speed in either variation.

So, I know that there are a number of pros and cons for each, but I don't have all the answers and would greatly benefit from the opinions from this group about which would ultimately be better for me. Are there any model years to stay away from?

Here are a list of important items to me (not prioritized):
  • Reliability
  • Comfort
  • Power and agility
  • Mileage per gallon
  • Interior volume
  • Curb appeal
  • Cost of maintenance

From what I've read, they're both similar in size, both very comfortable with gobs of power, both eat gas like Forman sells grills, and both will be difficult to find in 6 speed form.

Many thanks in advance and let the dialog begin...:thumbup:

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
Which Allroad engine are you considering; 2.7T or V8? I think the All-Road has the W8 Variant beaten in all the items you have listed. Audi's CPO warranty is significantly better than VW's, and it includes free-scheduled maintenance up to 100,000 miles!

Good luck,

Will aka The Swami

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
VWEight said:
Just buy this, probably the ultimate VAG Variant ever made..

http://passatworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=201073&highlight=w8
I agree completely and have spoken with him.

1.8twgn said:
You could buy a 2005 allroad I leftover at my dlr ship
black,6speed allrod with 400 miles on it...
Which dealership? Do you have a name or website URL?

The Swami said:
Which Allroad engine are you considering; 2.7T or V8? I think the All-Road has the W8 Variant beaten in all the items you have listed. Audi's CPO warranty is significantly better than VW's, and it includes free-scheduled maintenance up to 100,000 miles!
I was considering the 2.7T, to keep the costs down. The scheduled maintenance is certainly appealing. Will, what's your thought on this engine compared to the W8?

Thanks Guys, please keep the comments coming. This is exactly what I was hoping for.

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
A six-speed W8 variant is indeed a rare beast.
The Allroad has always been a bit too 'suburban female' to really stand out.

This is probably the only time you'll see me suggesting a VW over an Audi.

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
I believe the W8 would have more wow and curb appeal to those who know what they're looking at versus the smaller engined audi.
But to the avg person and in terms of sheer practcality, the allroad probably be better. Then, this depends on price.
Me, I'd buy the W8, but it'd be passion over practicality.
Then again, buying a German car over a more "sensible" japanese car is passion over practicality to some.

·
Registered
509 Posts
If I were selling my glx 4motion right now, which I am not (keeping for 3-4 more years), I would be looking at an 2002-2004 Allroad. Not sure which engine though. I like the 4.2, but they are much more $$$. Some good deals can be had on the 2.7T.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I didn't think the 4.2 V8 Allroad was sold with the manual tranny, but I won't be hurt if someone wants to correct me on that. If that is the case then the potential buyer has only the option of the 2.7T in the Audi.

·
Registered
2001 Passat wagon; 2016 Golf Sportwagen
5,507 Posts
From everything I have read in these forums, I would absolutely AVOID the W8 engine.

·
Registered
973 Posts
John_E said:
From everything I have read in these forums, I would absolutely AVOID the W8 engine.
Not another one. What has everyone read? A couple people post problems and the roofs caving in. Oh, and there's the guy on vortex whose mechanic screwed it up by dropping a part in the engine and then starting the engine, like the part would majically vanish. Now he's over there crying the blues, even though it was his stupid mechanic that damaged the vehicle. I have one of the first, 2002 W8 and no problems.

It's a damn good car/engine. Definitely make sure to check service records if buying a used one. That damn 10k mile OCI and someone using cheap oil can make any vehicle go south. For example, look at all the 1.8t sludge issues. If you don't take care of it, any problems are your own fault.

From everything I've read, I'd definitely avoid a 1.8t:poke:

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
W8inde said:
From everything I've read, I'd definitely avoid a 1.8t:poke:
I know that comment was in jest, but I currently have a 1.8T so that is pretty funny.

What I'm most concerned with is people that own the W8 or have worked on them. I'd like to hear their expertise especially. Since most people here are not Audi drivers, the feedback on that front is likely anecdotal.

Thanks again for all the comments, please keep 'em coming!

·
Registered
973 Posts
Yes, it was in jest.

I think you are going to hear some grumbling from a few W8 owners on the forums. Even more grumblings from non-W8 owners who think they know. Every little thing gets everyone in a panic and the gossiping starts.

The majority of W8 owners around here love their rides, including myself. I've had no problems, and with mine being a 2002 I think that speaks volumes. I do 5k mile/6month OCIs (10k VW standard is crazy). I use an Audi indy mechanic to service my W8. He's a former Audi service manager, older Austrian guy born where Audi's are made (not sure which ones). Trained on W engines. Sounds crazy, but I think the European mechs are better than some HS grad learning on my W8 looking at a service manual. He's worked on a number of W engines whether they be VW or Audi. Seems much more knowledgeable than the VW techs I talked to when I use to bring my car in for service.

Just make sure service was done in OCI less than 10k miles. If they are 10k, I would hesitate, cause god knows what kind of oil they used. That's all I can say. Sorry, no pics of my engine torn down laying on the garage floor, lol.

·
Registered
6,143 Posts
Agree with W8inde. I'll turn 68K tomorrow on the way to work, in less than 3 years. The only engine related failure was the thermostat at 37K. Same issue as the guy posting on vortex except the tech that replaced mine didn't drop anything down the intake. The only other issues I've seen posted were about cam tensioners. Ask Sharky how many 30V V6 cam tensioners go south, or, ask me how many 1.8T & 30V tensioners I've seen replaced in the 4 months with VW. The W8 is no less reliable than either of those engines. Besides, if the engine goes in 5 years, a W8 equipped Passat is the perfect candidate for a hi po 2.7T swap, especially a 6 spd. Stiffer chassis, 4MOTION,bigger gas tank, it's all there to handle a 500hp 2.7T. :D

·
Registered
347 Posts
I work @ Jack Daniels Audi in Fairlawn NJ
jackdanielsmotors.com I'm not sure if the 2005's are listed.

my name is Jason Martino 201 796 8500

And yes they did make 4.2 v8 allroads (very Rare) and they were only automatics

·
Registered
139 Posts
I just picked up (on Saturday) an '03 W8 Variant, 6 speed. Wonderful car, and I wouldn't trade it for an Allroad.

I test drove an Allroad 2.7t a couple of weeks ago (back-to-back with a 2002 W8 Variant, Tiptronic) - for me, there was absolutely no question that the W8 is the better "drivers car". It handled far better and the ride was a lot more comfortable. The Allroad, despite being just as, if not more solid, felt like an SUV. My test drive was also in horrible conditions (we had 30cm of snow, and I bailed on work and went for the test drives at 9:00AM). The W8 really did seem to work a lot better in the snow at high speed, and the Tip was a lot crisper than the Tip in the Audi. That experience can come down to tires and abuse by the previous owner, though, so I didn't put too much weight on those impressions.

The Allroad definitely offered more luxury (rear seat heaters, dual zone climate control, etc.), but the W8 is hardly "roughing it". The Allroad may offer a bit more space - I didn't pay close attn - but the W8 is plenty roomy. We had 5 adults in it yesterday, and it was still very comfortable.

Plus, aesthetically, I'm absolutely not a fan of the Allroad styling (think, Subaru Outback...), and yes, it is a more common car (although not many people will make the distinction between the W8 and any other Passat wagon - but you will know the difference!).

Finding the 6-speed was lucky, and made it the perfect car for me. My focus is definitely on the driving experience, and I like the Q-ship sleeper aspect and the exclusivity, too. It's not important to me that others know what my car is capable of, but is important that it be capable. The W8 gives me that, and I love it.

·
6th Grade
14,917 Posts
Adonai Seeker said:
Here are a list of important items to me (not prioritized):
  • Reliability
  • Comfort
  • Power and agility
  • Mileage per gallon
  • Interior volume
  • Curb appeal
  • Cost of maintenance
I'm sitting here looking at this list and am wondering how a W8 or Allroad would even be mentioned on the same page as these non-prioritized priorities....wow.

It's like someone sat down and decided to pick two cars from the bottom of the list that spawned these needs in a car....

1 - 20 of 39 Posts