Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got into work and while turning the corner in the parking garage, I hit a patch of ice and slid right into the wall. Luckily all that was lost was a tire, bumper stip, bumper cover, lower valance and looks like a fog light. From what I can see, no metal has been damaged. I'm starting to total up cost of replacing/getting parts painted. Maybe now's the time to get a new front valance......

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
yeesh that sucks man ...and yea it might be time to do the votex front on it...also find out if there is any liability on the parking garage's part to clear the ice

my 2 cents

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Checked with the parking garage, hard to keep a straight face under the 4'x6' sign that says "PARK AT YOUR OWN RISK" So I'm thinking no liability.

Anyhow, anyone local to 6th and Market in Philly with a lug wrench? I used mine to do the brakes on the Golf (it didn't come with one) and I left it in my house, hence I cannot get the wheel off my car :mad:

I guess my next option is to call roadside... none of the VW drivers at work have brought their cars in today.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alright, called roadside, they'll be here in 90 minutes.... I'm just hoping there's nothing worse on the car that needs fixin'

·
Registered
132 Posts
A sign that says "park at own risk" is not an automatic out for the garage when it comes to liability. if the repairs are sufficient enough, you might want to contact a lawyer on the grounds of neglegence. However, if yours is the only vehicle that was damaged, and it could have been due to you traveling at a higher rate of speed than the stated, you will not win.

However, be aware that courts cost some $$. I once filled up early in the morning at a station that just opened. Never did get a straight answer as to why, but I ended up with a tank of almost 50% water. As you can imagine, I ended up replacing just about all the fuel components from in tank pump to injectors. Total was more than $3,000. Had a great case, every chance of winning. Problem is that it would be against a large oil company. I would have to spend at least $10,000 in expert witnesses. Total estimate by my lawyer who is a good friend would be about $20,000. And this is a clear cut no lose case. But since I don't have $20,000 lying around to throw at this, it is actually cheaper to just eat the $3k.

Your other recourse is Small Claims, but you will need to be sure the time is worth it to you.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Yeah, I don't think that ice always falls under 'park at your own risk,' It is there responsibility to clear their lot.

Your local Attornery General is there to protect you as a consumer. I would prsonally contact him/her and let them know. They may have some paperwork for you to fill out, but that's a small price to pay for the government to put the fear of God into irresponisible producers and service providers. :thumbup:

·
Lisa Simpson
15,043 Posts
There is a great bodyshop at a dealership in the northeast - I think it's a Suzuki dealer, on Frankford or Torresdale or something in an iffy neighborhood. They rebuilt the old Golf twice and did a very serviceable job both times. Not too expensive and Allstate approved.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I've made some phone calls, and looks like I'm lookin at $570 worth of parts + paint and labor to have it fixed (the bumper is the killer part) if I have to actually replace everything. Going to head over to a local shop that I have friends at and have them give me an estimate on the rest of the work. I'm hoping the bumper might not need replacing.

The kicker with the garage is this: I park on the top of the garage becuase I can see my car from the window of my office. The rest of the garage is clear and free of ice EXCEPT the top (usually only my car and one other is up there) so I could have chosen to park in any of the spots below.

I'm chalking this one up to just a misjudgement in how fast I was going and not keeping my eye out for the ice. I'm just glad I didn't have my summer wheels on yet, and I'll pay to have it repaired out of pocket. Insurance is going to rape me if I call in another claim.

·
Banned
373 Posts
atomicalex said:
There is a great bodyshop at a dealership in the northeast - I think it's a Suzuki dealer, on Frankford or Torresdale or something in an iffy neighborhood. They rebuilt the old Golf twice and did a very serviceable job both times. Not too expensive and Allstate approved.
DeSimone on Frankford and Harbison, perhaps? Come on Alex, Frankford and Torresdale aren't iffy. Those are just plain ole 'blue collar' Philly neighborhoods.

Joe

·
Lisa Simpson
15,043 Posts
Yes, DeSimone. Not everyone would appreciate Frankford and Torresdale! We used to go to a great record shop over on Frankford, I think it was right near there. I could drive to it, but I can't remember the street names. :crazy:

Hehe, all I can remember is that it's not too far from the El.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, first estimate is $1,200 to replace the bumper and associated parts and paint. I'm also looking into putting on a Dietrich bumper from Strictly Foreign. Car is completely drivable, just got a black eye at the moment.

As Z28Driver put it today "Now's the time to change your front bumper if you ever planned on doing it"

1 - 11 of 11 Posts