Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for anyone on the boards (or a report of anyone you can reliably comment on) who has reasonably consistently used SynPower 5w-40 in the Passat 1.8T since new or with low miles up through 90k miles or higher.

-Anyone with above who has had no oil sludge/coking or oil pressure or turbo or engine wear related problems.

-Anyone with above who has had any oil sludge/coking or oil pressure or turbo or engine wear related problems.

If you answer, please include what you experienced, and your typical OCI.

Please, no posts hyping or diverting the discussion to other oils. I'd like to discuss the experience with this oil only.

There are some people sniffing at this oil because it may be a Group III priced too high and that it may shear to a 30 weight. Those may be valid concerns. What I am interested in is the reliability and wear performance of the 1.8T when running this oil.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Hi Eric,

Got a 99' 1.8T Tip with 115,000 miles.

Put in the Valvonline SynPower 5W 40 at 15,000 miles or the 3rd oil change as that was the general concensus 5 years ago--run the oem oil at least 5,000 miles (or longer) and switch to syn AFTER 1 oil change.

So, 5 years later doing changes at 7,000-9,300 miles (93000 mi. or 15,000 km is the Euro standard) I'm in pretty good shape. Doing much less miles as the car is now my Dad's but going strong. It's used about a quart in the last year or so in 9,000 city miles--pretty damn good.

Now, the question of the decade, which has yet to be answered, is when to change the Tip fluid. I haven't touched mine :nervous:

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Those are pretty healthy intervals, too! Anyof you every have your oil tested toward the end of one of these runs or any reason to see in the pan (like a cracked pan)? Wow. I was still scared to go beyond 3,000 even though I swtiched to synthetic.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh! Ganseg. Over on BobistheOilGuy.com there are a quite a few UOA's on the 1.8T Passat or A4 and and SynPower 5w-40 and the oil is great in this engine. They're all quite impressed and amazed. The experts there commenting on the UOA's are saying 6-7k OCI's are the right length for SynPower 5w-40, and that's with the small stock oil filter. One could probably go longer with the Wix 51333/Napa 1333. Anything less than 5k on this oil is throwing your money away.

I'm going to put some in shortly, the Napa Gold 1333 filter, and 3 oz of Auto-RX and I'll do a UOA at 6k and let everyone know my results. I'm looking to discover if I can go 7500 safely and regulary with this combo.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
I have been using Synpower 5W-40 for the last few oil changes and it has been great. The engine is quiet too considering I switched from OEM fluid to Pennzoil 5W-40 synth to this and it has made a difference. At Bobstheoilguy, Synpower consistently has good UOAs in 1.8T engines to their amazement.

I am thinking of giving German Castrol 0W-30 too since it also has great UOAs in the 1.8T engine (sorry threw it off track with this comment) but it is a consistently heavy 30.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
ericpeterman said:
I'm going to put some in shortly, the Napa Gold 1333 filter, and 3 oz of Auto-RX and I'll do a UOA at 6k and let everyone know my results. I'm looking to discover if I can go 7500 safely and regulary with this combo.
So after the initial cleaning, its ok to use AutoRX with synth? I read their website when I was doing my cleaning and it said it wasn't as effective with Synth, so I used Amsoil'd engine cleaner a couple of times in a row.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's fine to use as a maintenance dose with synth (once the engine is clean). Synth is not recommended as the RINSE phase. If you've not run Auto-RX, I'd recommend you do a clean at the final 1.5k of your present oil and then rinse with with a dino for 2k, then to your final synth with regular maint dose of 3oz.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
TWhite: Yes. The oil actually is known in the 1.8T for it's cleansing effect. Of course with the Auto-RX maint dose that would'n be an issue anyway, but the oil by itself would be just fine based on numerous reports. You don't get low soluble numbers in the UOA's and deposits on the engine at the same time. Low solubles = no deposits.

·
Registered
753 Posts
How much is the cost of a maintance AutoRX dose? It think it's about $5. For that additional amount you might want to consider a more shear stable oil that would cost you less by not needing the AutoRX.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
TWhite: Sorry if I gave reason to distract from the main thrust of the thead. I don't want this thread to go to far afield from the original topic of experience with SynPower 5w-40.

But there are some assumptions here I am not willing to grant. a) that shearing with this particular oil causes much sludging in this application (user experience militates against this). b) that a different, readily available oil would be as effective in controlling buildup as AutoRX is in combination with this oil which already produces such excellent UOA's. This is a direct quote from Terry Dyson (Dyson Labs - Oil analysis), "MOTOR oils CAN'T clean effectively and lubricate without sacrificing one for the other."

This is where Auto-RX comes in as it "fills the gap." Terry officially endorses Auto-RX, one of two oil products that he flat out endorses and says it does what it says it does and has no negatives in his experience as a tribologist.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have 89k miles on my 2000 1.8t which I purchased new, and I have used Synpower 5w/40 from the second oil change to the present. I have been chipped since 25,000 miles. There are no issues that I am aware of. I never had an oil analysis done but the oil does not appear "sludgy" when I drain the pan, and peeking through the oil filler hole reveals a clean engine, or at least a clean engine in that tiny area of which I can see. I change the oil every 3-4k miles.

·
Registered
87 Posts
does it meet vw requirements?
Yes, the Valvoline Synpower 5W- 40 meets requirements for both the 1.8 and V6 engine. Meets every spec. One of the few oils I have seen that does that.[/quote]

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It even says so right on the bottle. The purpose of this thread is to gather user experience with the SynPower 5w-40 in these engines. Catsamis' experience seems very good, although he's changing it out early. It may be that the population of users of this oil is smaller relative to Mobil 1, but I have yet to see someone who has used the SynPower regularly from early on report a sludging or oil pressure related problem.

·
Registered
499 Posts
D.Passat00 said:
does it meet vw requirements?
It does meet all of the requirements.

I believe it was the first oil to specifically meet the VW specs in a 5W 40 going back to 1998. The reason I started to use it was the fact that it was the only oil I could find that met the specs AND was a 5W 40.

You really can't go wrong with this oil especially with the good UOA's.

·
Registered
21 Posts
ericpeterman said:
It even says so right on the bottle. The purpose of this thread is to gather user experience with the SynPower 5w-40 in these engines. Catsamis' experience seems very good, although he's changing it out early
-----------------snip-----------------------

Yes. If it wasn't chipped I would let it go longer.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.