Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 passat that needs new valve stem seals. I just got quoted 4600.00 to replace them with head still on car. I'm in southern California if anybody knows a shop or is capable. Let me know. Thx Eric D.

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
$4600 :icon_eek:

I can do a complete v6 rebuild for less than that. You can buy a whole another Passat for that kind of $$, with less problems.
That is way to steep of a price. It takes a bit of effort to replace valve stem seals but not that much.

If it were me, I would remove the head and then have the head cleaned, clean up the valves and install new seals and gaskets and be on my way.

2 reasons for removing the head...

First: if the valves need seals on them they are most certainly crusty with black carbon and rock hard baked on oil. This impedes the valves ability to cool itself off and also hinders valve function if bad enough and engine efficiency.

Second: the valves keepers that hold the valve springs are pretty small, dropping one of those inside the head while still on the car is an absolute nightmare. That more than likely will necessitate removal of the head anyways. If someone were to recover one of those keepers after it fell into the head, that person better run out and buy a lottery ticket ASAP because they are the luckiest person alive.

Yeah removal of the head is tad more involved but much more can be gained from doing it.

Are you at the mercy of a shop, or can you do any of this yourself?

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
Most of the members I can remember that are from that area don't come around here anymore.

Back when I lived in LA Mirada there was VW shop on Beach Blvd right around Artesia Blvd. I can't for the life of me remember the name of the place or if they're even around anymore. They were wildly popular back in the day.

Maybe member ylwagon knows something. He's not to far away from your neck of the woods.

·
Registered
5,572 Posts
Maybe member ylwagon knows something. He's not to far away from your neck of the woods
My sister lives in Torrance, so I will ask her for a recommendation (doubt it would be VW specific though).

That price can't be right, looks like a decimal point got moved. Couple of questions though: how does the OP know that there is a valve seal problem? From what I've read, an air line can be attached to the spark plug hole, on the compression stroke, which will hold the valves closed while the spring retainer is removed.

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
From what I've read, an air line can be attached to the spark plug hole, on the compression stroke, which will hold the valves closed while the spring retainer is removed.
Correct. An air fitting adapter screws into the spark plug hole and a constant supply of air pressure holds the valves. It can be done, no doubt. But those valve stem keepers make me nervous.

·
Registered
55 Posts
While I have seen this work performed, I wouldn't do it. As has been stated, and I agree completely, I'd have the head pulled. It is way more work and 50X more risky trying to pull the valve keepers while the head is on the car.

Why do you think you need new valve stem seals? Excess oil consumption?

It's not that much more work to pull the head, and therefore also clean and relap the valve seats and valves and then inspect the cam followers and cam chain tensioner.

I'm not familiar with the head on a 1.8T, but if it's anything like the heads on the 2.8 30V, then the valves are REALLY recessed down into the heads and getting to the keepers is a nightmare. Taking them off isn't so hard, but putting them back on is.

·
Registered
28,337 Posts
Was the former turbo dumping oil into the exhaust? Mine took a long time to burn off as the longer I drove, the further down the exhaust the oil would burn. If it's only at startup, the valve seals are most likely. If it's also under deceleration , the guides may also be worn.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts