Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to replace the valve cover gasket but having great difficulty separating the cover from the head.

The nine (9) 10mm valve cover nuts were loose so I thought the cover would also be the same. But just the opposite. The cover is on there good.

All the videos show the cover separating quickly without the need to use too much force.

My valve cover does not budge and is firmly in place.

Rubber mallet tapping has not worked.

I've read some posts that describe using a putty knife or flat head to pry edge or corner.

Any suggestions and ideas would be appreciated

·
Registered
367 Posts
Yes to the flat-head screwdriver. Tap it in anywhere around the perimeter of the cover, to break the seal with gasket.

Also, watch the attachment tabs on the passenger-side hard pipes. Those pipes, if not removed completely, can be very difficult to move far enough out of the way for the cover to clear the tabs.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your suggestions. 👍

I used a rubber mallet to gently tap a large flathead screwdriver between the valve cover and head, at the front right corner adjacent to the camshaft sensor, and the seal cracked open towards the #4 cylinder. I gently inserted the flat edge of a putty knife to help separate and crack open the remaining sides.

I've cleaned the head surface area along the gasket's seating edge areas.

I've cleaned the valve cover inside and out.

I'll be installing the cover tomorrow.
I'll post an update then.

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,853 Posts
Nice and clean. Do you shoot trap?

Reactions: axenstar

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks.

No, I really don't shoot trap. Only at TVs, cans and bottles in the desert. Lol.

Anyways, I was taking a closer look at the camshaft tensioner. See picture above. And am now considering replacing it since, not only might there may be a slight leak involving it's gaskets, but it looks old and I'm sure it's probably just as old as the severely cracked timing belt I replaced last month, and just as old as this valve cover gasket that is completely flattened smooth I might add.

Hell, I'm gonna replace the combo valve and rear coolant flange anyways, so might as well go for it.

I guess I'll end this post and start another to address the camshaft tensioner, that I know almost nothing about except that there are a lot of things that can go wrong if you're not careful and organized, with the understanding that if you move it out if sync and don't realign it exactly your engine can get messed up.

Thanks for your help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts