Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
311 Posts
It is my understanding that the VAG-COM will allow you to access parts of the ECU and other computers in the car that a regular OBDII scanner cannot access. Additionally, there are certain modifications that can only be made with a VAG-COM or other VW specific tool.

· Registered
3,924 Posts
OBDII will let you read error codes only. VAG-COM will let you read codes, see the status of most of the control modules and some sensors in real time, plus allow you to make changes to various settings in the control modules. VAG is much more in depth than OBDII, at least in our cars...

7,965 Posts
Christian P said:
So if I hook up a Vag-Com I can find out more than the P0301 error message from the ODBII scanner?
Yes and no...If that is the code its poping up then that is it. The vag-com will no pull codes that aren't there. There is a data base in the Vag-com program but it will only tell you its a missfire. But who did your spark plugs?? I would take it back to them and tell them ever since that changed them you have been getting miss-fires CEL and you are pissed off. Maybe they just didn't do it right?? Because we clean that MAF and check everything on it...I would say coil pack or spark plug...or your chip is making your 1.8T run to lean???? that will pop up a mis fire if your running lean and didn't you have that too lean CEL the first time???

· One more time, and I'm outta here
5,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
pson said:
OR it could be this??

Had the same problem here with #2 misfiring. It was the ICM. Ordered a new one online for 100 bucks and it took 15 minutes to install. All fixed.
My misfires are on #3 for the most part. I don't want to spend $100 and still have the CEL on. I think I want to plug it in a Vag-Com before making the decision on what to purchase next for the car for the CEL.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.