Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've been searching on ebay for some of these knock off vag-com devices. Don't know how well they will work but for 10 it wont be a huge loss. Anyways, i can't find one that they list as compatible with a 2003 Passat.

Can anyone point me in the right direction here?

Thanks

Keith

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
The difference between a Ross-Tech cable and a $10 OBD II cable is that the Ross-Tech one is licensed for the full VCDS software and is guaranteed to work, and the $10 cable will only work with the free VCDS-lite (without paying Ross-Tech an additional fee) and may or may not work at all.

Stay away from the cables offering full VCDS for cheap; they are running pirated software.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I used to have one the cheap vag-com 409 cables and they can work with VCDS Lite. With the Lite version you can work on VW up to and not including B6 platform when VW switched to CAN-BUS (somebody correct if I'm wrong). Lite version is also limited as far what you can see and what you can do with it. For example, you can only see I believe the first 30 measuring blocks, you can't do any mods, etc.

VCDS full version can work with any VW vehicle except some older ones pre-OBDII era.

·
I break for old people
7,533 Posts
The difference between a Ross-Tech cable and a $10 OBD II cable is that the Ross-Tech one is licensed for the full VCDS software and is guaranteed to work, and the $10 cable will only work with the free VCDS-lite (without paying Ross-Tech an additional fee) and may or may not work at all.

Stay away from the cables offering full VCDS for cheap; they are running pirated software.
Pretty much everything he said. And the $10 cables are built like absolute shit, I dropped the blue cheap cable once, little thing broke.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
When I decided on getting Vag-com, buying from Ross-tech was a no brainer. Knowing the product will work and supporting a company that works hard at what they do was more than enough reason to buy from them. They are always updating software and their database.

Support the company that does the work by not buying some Chinese rip-off, please...

·
I break for old people
7,533 Posts
^ Completely agree.

For example, the other day in my shop class an MKIV Jetta 2.0 came into the garage and wasn't running right. I hooked up VAG-COM and it wouldn't connect. I went through all the steps I normally would to try to make a communication with the laptop and ECU, nothing worked. I then called Ross-Tech (we use the real deal at school) I spent the next half hour or so on the phone with them and they helped me a tremendous amount and ended up being able figure out the problem. Now do you think some $10 Chinese knock-off company is going to spend a half hour on the phone helping you? Yeah right! If you even get a person on the phone, it'll probably be someone at a call center who speaks six words of English and sells 25,000 different products online and has absolutely no idea what VAG-COM even stands for. I know we're all on budgets and the initial price is hard to swallow, but it's completely worth it in the long run if you're going to be a regular user.

·
Resident a-hole knowitall
15,715 Posts
^ Completely agree.

For example, the other day in my shop class an MKIV Jetta 2.0 came into the garage and wasn't running right. I hooked up VAG-COM and it wouldn't connect. I went through all the steps I normally would to try to make a communication with the laptop and ECU, nothing worked. I then called Ross-Tech (we use the real deal at school) I spent the next half hour or so on the phone with them and they helped me a tremendous amount and ended up being able figure out the problem. Now do you think some $10 Chinese knock-off company is going to spend a half hour on the phone helping you? Yeah right! If you even get a person on the phone, it'll probably be someone at a call center who speaks six words of English and sells 25,000 different products online and has absolutely no idea what VAG-COM even stands for. I know we're all on budgets and the initial price is hard to swallow, but it's completely worth it in the long run if you're going to be a regular user.
Was it an Aftermarket radio? Or Abs crapped out? Or fuse blown? That fixed the connection issue?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
I break for old people
7,533 Posts
It turned out to be an aftermarket radio, that was than replaced with an incorrect OEM radio and the previous owner was a complete hack and f**ked up a bunch of wiring. Gave me quite the headache.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts