Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sorry boys i haven't been on here in ages... whats all this vag-com stuff i'm reading. what does it change/do... mines a 1.8 T Sport manual.

·
Lock and Load
4,040 Posts
Welcome to the club. Vag-Com is a diagnostic software for our car, and you need a cable to plug in from your laptop to the car. It is very useful for reading a fault code, make some setting changes, etc. Here is the link: www.ross-tech.com

·
Registered
61 Posts
I got VAG-COM working last weekend (free version 409). I took a gamble and purchase a $16 cable from ebay and worked out great. I was able to change the tiptronic transmission to work on the "sports mode" in about 5 minutes :lol: .

The VAG-COM is a must in my book. By reading the codes you know whether it is something simple that you can do yourselft or something beyond your skills to fix. Plus it keeps you out of the VW dealership as much as possible, which is a good thing.

·
Registered
61 Posts
what can you do with the free version?
You can do many of the things that can be done with the full version. Including, reading codes, diagnostics, changing some features (go to http://www.ross-tech.com for a full description). I do not think you can do real time diagnostic or dynos. However, you can purchase the full version for $99 if you have your own interface. I am still experimenting, but for what I paid ($0) you can't beat it. :thumbup:

·
Registered
79 Posts
I got VAG-COM working last weekend (free version 409). I took a gamble and purchase a $16 cable from ebay and worked out great. I was able to change the tiptronic transmission to work on the "sports mode" in about 5 minutes :lol: .

The VAG-COM is a must in my book. By reading the codes you know whether it is something simple that you can do yourselft or something beyond your skills to fix. Plus it keeps you out of the VW dealership as much as possible, which is a good thing.

I got my cable tonight. downloaded V409.1 and nothing, it doesent work.

It says no signal from controller. Im trying to do the tiptronic sports too.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I got my cable tonight. downloaded V409.1 and nothing, it doesent work.

It says no signal from controller. Im trying to do the tiptronic sports too.
I bought my USB interface from autonostics.com through ebay ($22 shipped). In the autonostic.com website they have the drivers for the interface and step by step instruction on how to set up the interface (for their interface only). For some reason Windows XP professional would not recognize it on the first try. However, on the second attempt it worked. The trickiest part is making sure it is set to the correct COM on your computer. COM 1 through 4 are the only ones recognized by VAG-COM. The USB VAG_COM option is only for the ross-tech USB interface and not the generic brands. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i'v got a sports manual. is this going to make much of a difference? i take it you can't make the engine more ecconomical or faster then...

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
The VW engineers have done a pretty good job at getting the most out of a stock engine. The VAG-Com is more of a troubleshooting tool. Definitely worth having for the $30 for an eBay cable and a free download (and a laptop, of course!). And if it's worth that much to you, you can always step up to the 'full' version.

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
i'v got a sports manual. is this going to make much of a difference? i take it you can't make the engine more ecconomical or faster then...
It basically removes the need to tip in most situations. Down-shfts when you need it sooner. Plus you can enable old meathod tip shifting, which allows you basically teh whole RPM range in TIP mode rather than upshifting you at around 5-6K RPM and downshifting aroung 1k.
Sports mode feels a lot better and you're not constantly fighting the computer which tries to anticpate what you are doing and then is wrong

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi guys,

Can you change the settings of the key with the free version? I want to enable the hunk when I set the alarm (it doesn't hunk anymore, I bet is a setting as the dealer did some work on the engine and reseted some parameters). And some other settings I saw on this forum.

There some more settings I would like to do, like:
# Want to change the behavior of your keyless entry, to unlock all doors with a single press
# Want to roll up and down the power windows using the remote

It says in the comparison chart that basic setting are disabled in the freee version. What are these basic settings? Anyone knows?

Or, if this sotfware doesn't do it, is there another free/cheap one to do it?

Thanks,
[email protected]

·
Registered
173 Posts
I want to enable the hunk when I set the alarm (it doesn't hunk anymore, I bet is a setting as the dealer did some work on the engine and reseted some parameters). And some other settings I saw on this forum.
Interesting in that I hope to disable the "hunk" at some point. It's annoying.

That and the chime that you get when the temp hits 39 degrees farenheit really annoy me.

·
Registered
640 Posts
if u got the autonostics cable u need to go to their website, download their drivers and set a virtual serial port or else it won't work... its more complicated that it needs to be.

·
Registered
12 Posts
if u got the autonostics cable u need to go to their website, download their drivers and set a virtual serial port or else it won't work... its more complicated that it needs to be.
But at least does it works to do this basic settings, using the Ross-Tech software?

And, do you need to set a virtual serial port even for USB cable?

·
Registered
640 Posts
yea, its really sketchy, if u help let me know.... but yes, the cable is kinda trashy, it works, but its need to be set as a virtual serial.... the usb setting on vag com will not work. i set mine to use virtual serial com 2, and selected com 2 in vag com, and it works fine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
yea, its really sketchy, if u help let me know.... but yes, the cable is kinda trashy, it works, but its need to be set as a virtual serial.... the usb setting on vag com will not work. i set mine to use virtual serial com 2, and selected com 2 in vag com, and it works fine.
Is there a specific sotware you recommend to setup this virtual serial port? Free if possible.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts