Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
VAG-COM / VCDS "Port Ok, Interface:Not Found!"

Hi all,

I've had my Passat for a while now and I'd like to be more prepared for maintenance/problems and be able to customize some settings to my liking such as the central locking and remote windows which I think is a really cool feature!

So I am interested as I have an OBD-II cable with me. Where do I go from here? I've read a number of threads about this but no one explicitly states the limits of each software...
Could I do the re-programming of the CCM for locks/trunk hatch/remote windows etc using VCDS? I suppose it's completely simple using Vag-Com?

I guess I would just like to know which software will show me what, what my options are and so forth before I start acquiring the relevant software.
The main thing I would like is to be able to scan the car myself (save trips to AAP) and make some modifications to the CCM programming :D

All advice appreciated
Brad

·
in dire need of an organic chemistry lesson
2,619 Posts
Yes you can all that with VCDS Lite that you can download for free. You also need a cable that you can buy from eBay. These aare usually clone cable and cost less. But you also have the option to buy a genuine cable.

·
in dire need of an organic chemistry lesson
2,619 Posts
I got an OBD-II cable which was left in the car when I bought it - So I can reprogram to do all these things with just VCDS Lite? So what else could be done with VAG-COM?
Yes you can do a lot with the Lite version but much more with the full version. If you are planning to keep the car for long then it's definitely a good investment to get the VCDS. Beware of the Chinese clone cables. I got one online for $26 but it's a half-baked clone not working properly with many features of VCDS. Either get a genuine cable or warn the clone seller that if the cable is not working you will definitely return it.

·
Registered
2001 Passat wagon; 2016 Golf Sportwagen
5,588 Posts
I bought the real VCDS cable from Ross-Tech, and -- though expensive -- it has already paid for itself. (It helps that we have four B5/B6 generation VAG cars in the family. :)

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmmm I hope the cable is good enough for what I want. The main things I'd like to do are:

Make all doors open with one click instead of double clicking - half the time there's more than just me in the car
Make the windows go up using the arm/disarm buttons on the key fob
Of course, scan the car and get proper codes - not the generic type from AAP
Activate Cruise control - My car initially had CC but the ECU was changed for one which did not have Cruise activated, so the cruise light comes on the dash when activated but nothing happens!

·
Registered
10,466 Posts
You can do with VCDS anything that can be done with VAGCom, and more!
VAGCom is just an old version of VCDS. VCDS works only with Ross Tech cables.

VCDS-Lite works with generic cables, it can read all codes in all modules, but has some limitations and the un-registered version has more limitations.

Check here for full details: Ross-Tech: Products

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay, so I'm trying to get this to work with my 'OBDLink SX' cable I had in the car. I have had codes scan before at AAP and using another laptop and cable a long time ago so I know the OBD port works and it can be done.
Right now using VCDS-Lite 1.2 and this cable I get a message saying 'Port status: ok Interface: Not Found!' So I tried in the car with the cable connected, USB Serial port set to COM 4, Ignition on and selected COM 4 but when I test I got the same message 'Port status: ok Interface: Not Found!'........ what am I doing wrong?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've just tested more, ensured the COM port is correct. When I connect this cable to my computer the led goes yellow and turns green when the OBD side is plugged into the port - as it should do according to the website which sells the cable.

I'm still getting the Port Ok, Interface: Not found! error - Ignition is on!

Also, if it makes any difference, I am using a laptop running Windows 8.1 64bit

·
Registered
10,466 Posts
Scroll to the bottom of the page and follow the instructions. You select (VCP) Virtual COM port drivers.
On the next page scroll down and select your operating system.
This should work if your cable uses a FTDI chip.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I downloaded the appropriate driver and also the driver supplied from the OBDLink SX website - Both drivers were exactly the same.
When I go to device manager I can see the driver I installed (from the FTDI website), it is set to COM 4 as seen in the screenshot below. When I connect my cable to the computer it shows up below the other driver as 'USB Serial Port' (or something like that) and it is set to COM 3. I have opened VCDS-Lite and tested both ports as well as reassigning both drivers to different ports, 1-4, and even the same ports as each other. I have also tried from the other USB port on the laptop and done the same, reassign COM ports and move them around, test, with radio on and radio off. Each time I get the same Port Ok, Interface:Not found!

If anyone could help and get me connected it would be great!

·
Registered
10,466 Posts
I don't know whether you have done something wrong or the cable is faulty.

You should remove any VCP drivers from the PC then install only one VCP driver, and set the COM Port to 1, 2, 3, or 4.
Connect the cable to the PC and the OBDII Port, switch ign on.
In VCDS select restore defaults, then set the COM Port to the same number as it is in windows, select test and save. (It must be saved)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.