Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Crosspost from Europe section, but since no one reads or replies over there....

I know this has been discussed more than million times, and yes I used search, but none of the threads, not even the "how to sports mode"-guide tells exactly what digit to change to what to enable the sports mode. I'm not interested of the old style, new style things, my tip changes gears as it is supposed to, in the red line or when I tell it to change. All I need the exact bit to change to get the sports mode. So, which one is it?

I have 2004 B5.5. My original transmission code is 00101.

Thanks.

PS. I think the sports mode guide needs a little clearing up. Too much hassle with the old style new style setting. It is really confusing.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Crosspost from Europe section, but since no one reads or replies over there....

I know this has been discussed more than million times, and yes I used search, but none of the threads, not even the "how to sports mode"-guide tells exactly what digit to change to what to enable the sports mode. I'm not interested of the old style, new style things, my tip changes gears as it is supposed to, in the red line or when I tell it to change. All I need the exact bit to change to get the sports mode. So, which one is it?

I have 2004 B5.5. My original transmission code is 00101.
I am sure you've seen the recent post on this ....all I had to do was change the 4th digit from a 0 to a 1. I have a 2002 4-Motion. From what I have seen forget about the old and new strategy stuff. Even my 2002 was set to "new".

I am no expert but just got the info from this site. I used the online info only. You'd likely need to find someone with a "Factory Repair Manual" to get the exact info.

·
Punches Dubs. True Story
9,982 Posts
The Tip mod write-up is one of the most comprehensive and well-written pieces on this entire forum. Changing it would be blasphemous. And you should be concerned with old vs. new strategy ...it has a big impact on the behavior of your car.

Old strategy - Tip mode includes redline protection, downshifts to 1st at a full stop and shifts gears when selected by the driver.

New strategy - Tip mode includes redline protection, downshifts to 1st at a full stop and shifts gears when selected by driver OR when the gas pedal is pushed with significant force (as a standard automatic shifts when you want to pass).

Awesome Tip Mod Write-up said:
Sport mode on a B5.5 is engaged by setting a different bit in the same place (4th digit from the left). The bit to set is the '1' bit.
So that would mean that a stock code of 00101 would become 00111.

This is based solely on the information in the write-up. Unfortunately, it only discusses USA model cars and their trans codes, but if a stock FWD code in the U.S. is 00104 and 00114 is sport mode, then your coding should work the same way.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you. The part that threw me off was the
The bit to set is the '1' bit
I thought I had to change one of the '1' bits to something else. Anyway, thank you again. Something this easy can get to a clump of confusion sometimes. And like I said, my tip is behaving like it is supposed to, using the "old strategy" already. Infact, there isn't even a "new strategy" in euro tips. I think it is just U.S thing. That's why I wanted the info thread to be changed a little, just to have one section for purely sports mode, not old/new strategies combined.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I thought there was?

I'm pretty sure it explains:
Sport Mode
Old Strategy
Combining Them

Anyway, I'm going to be activating sport/oldstrat tonight, assuming I can get my VAGCOM working as it should be.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Redline Protection

Hmm Meaning you can't shift to the gear if it will pass redline? I just tried hitting redline ealier because I have sport mode and old strategy, and I can pass the 6500RPM redline in tipmode!!!

Is there a rev limiter and how high does it go?

I have a v6 4motion.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Hmm Meaning you can't shift to the gear if it will pass redline? I just tried hitting redline ealier because I have sport mode and old strategy, and I can pass the 6500RPM redline in tipmode!!!

Is there a rev limiter and how high does it go?

I have a v6 4motion.
Scary....any clarifications on this?

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
one more time...

"Old/New Shift Strategy" is only relevant in Tip Mode ("54321" ).

"Sport Mode" is only relevant in Fully-Automatic Mode ("PRND432").

Codes for Older US-Spec B5's (with "Old Shift Strategy" from the factory):
00000 = Old Shift Strategy, Non-Sport Mode (Default)
00010 = Old Shift Strategy, Sport Mode

Codes for Newer US-Spec B5's and B5.5's (with "New Shift Strategy" from the factory):
0xx02 = 4MO, New Shift Strategy, Non-Sport Mode (Default)
0xx12 = 4MO, New Shift Strategy, Sport Mode
0xx22 = 4MO, Old Shift Strategy, Non-Sport Mode
0xx32 = 4MO, Old Shift Strategy, Sport Mode
0xx04 = FWD, New Shift Strategy, Non-Sport Mode (Default)
0xx14 = FWD, New Shift Strategy, Sport Mode
0xx24 = FWD, Old Shift Strategy, Non-Sport Mode
0xx34 = FWD, Old Shift Strategy, Sport Mode

The "xx" is either "01" or "11"... earlier B5.5's have "01", later B5.5's have "11".

^^^^^^^^^^^^

Fin_4Mo -- since your code ends in 1, it doesn't agree with any of the US-spec codes. I suspect that "Old Shift Strategy" is the factory default in Europe, but I don't know for certain. My guess is that changing your code to 00111 will enable "Sport Mode", but then again it may do nothing, or it may even damage the TCU. I just don't know.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I tried to recode to 00111, nothing happened,the code didn't change and after the recoding, the controller showed the original code 00101.

I'm going to try to recode 00131 and see what happens.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
^^That's common when the code isn't one that the controller understands. The new number just doesn't "stick".

If "1" didn't work, then "3" probably won't, either. Instead, try powers of two... 1, 2, & 4. The decimal numbers are really binary "flags"...

1 = [001], 2 = [010], 4 = [100]

so, "3" is really [001] + [010] = [011], meaning "turn on option 1 and option 2". Therefore, if xx1 doesn't work, xy1 won't work either.

Also, for example, the five digit code 00134 becomes: [000].[000].[001].[011].[100]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts