Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I understand, the MAFS sensor is a common culprit. Air leaks I'm told is another common one but none can be found
:confused:. Are there other things that could cause that code (17536 Fuel Trim: Bank 1 System too Lean p1128)?

I'd just clean the sensor as I have read about here but the VW dealership tells me it's under warranty (2001.5 1.8T). I'm just trying to arm myself with as much info as possible before taking it to them due to past honesty issues.

Thanks.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
D.Passat00,

I'm not sure what the exact idle is but it seems normal...under a 1000, I'm pretty sure. Not sure if that tells you anything...

Also, when taking off from a stop...like granny would, the power falls in to a slight flat spot then takes off like business as usual. Now if I take off from that stop with a little more gas, it takes off fine. There's also a very, very slight surging if I give it just enough gas to move and leave it at that speed.

Both of the above mentioned issues were distinct before the dealer cleaned the throttle body and replaced a cracked hose about 10,000 miles ago. But, it didn't cure it 100% and it has gotten slightly worse since....though it's barely noticable now.

Also, for what it's worth, I have changed the plugs and coils. Changing the plugs made the car run better. I didn't notice a difference after changing the coils (but that cured a misfire code).

Thanks.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I had the same code go off on my b5. I took it to a VAG dealer thinking it was it was a gasket leak and covered under powertrain warranty. They checked everything and said it was some broken vacuum lines. Check behind the engine block and examine all your vac lines.
you should find your problem.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I'm going through the same thing right now. I have checked all of the vac lines and cleaned my MAFS. I have concluded that I now have a very clean broken MAFS. I called the stealership and they quoted me $192 for a remanufactured one. I found one at advance auto parts for $65, also remanufactured. Good luck with yours though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts