Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should I get the KEY-COM $229 or HEX-COM+CAN $329?

What are the advantages to the HEX-COM+CAN for the 5.5 Passat?

TIA

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
ummm first of all . . . . don't get any of the -coms, get a Key USB or HexUSB.

No advantages to the Hex for the passats as they don't use the newer diagnostic functions, however if you do any data logging (a/f ratios & etc) the Hex series supposedly has faster refresh rates.

IMHO, rosstech has lost a lot of respect from me for jacking up their prices so much. It used to be $200 for a Hex USB last year, now its $350. Same damn thing . . . .

Dave

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
crew217 said:
ummm first of all . . . . don't get any of the -coms, get a Key USB or HexUSB.

Dave
I'm kind of stuck with COM as I don't have USB on my laptop as it is old and a piece of shit.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Depending on your plans for this tool - using it mainly for diagnostics as opposed to using it as an aid for tuning - you can get the critical core funtionality from the $71 OBDTools.com cable. It works fine with the old standard com ports and you can register the software later if you ever decide you need more functions than the shareware provides. Granted, if you register the code you haven't saved much money over the Ross-Tech tool, but going the $71 route allows you to 'test-drive' the tool before you lay down $200+ for the KEY-COM.

If you are set on Ross-Tech, I believe the KEY-COM is all that you need for the B5.5. However, if you ever plan to trade your car for a newer VW or Audi, buying the Hex- protects your investment a bit.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess I should have posted what I want to do with the tool.

1) Reset MIL. :lol:
2) Diagnose DTCs
3) Change set-up functions...door locks etc.
4) Would be nice to do some data logging just for the coolness of it

BTW what doesn't the shareware do?

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
a4passata6 said:
BTW what doesn't the shareware do?
The shareware resets the MIL. It will give you the CEL codes, but only gives details about the first one it logs, the rest are just listed by number so you need a good reference, i.e. Bentley. It will not do data logging and I think it only allows you to look at real time data one block at a time - I haven't played with that much.

Hopefully others will chime in on the restrictions of the shareware. I only have used the tool for diagnostics of the CEL and to switch the TCM to sport mode. I haven't hit many restricted functions, it has done everything I have needed.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I have been thinking about purchasing the full version, but have not needed to yet.

Limitations that I have found with the shareware not already mentioned:
1. Cannot Scan All. Need to scan each group individually. Takes more time and inconvenient.
2. Cannot do the TBA (Throttle Body Adaptation).
3. Cannot code new keys.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.