Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried the search function for VAG-COM but didn't have much luck. I'm trying to understand a little more about VAG-COM and what I have to buy in order to have one and how much it costs.

It sounds like there are many companys you can buy interfaces from but you have to get the software from Ross. Is Ross the only place to get the software from?

What do I need to get in order to have a VAG-COM for my car? I saw something on Ross's website for a whole package that costs $700.00. :shock: That seems like a lot of money! Is this the cost that people are paying in order to have this?

Thanks Guys for your help on this, cuz I'm clueless.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What is the difference between the shareware version and the full version? Obviously the cost and probably some acessability options within the software but do you really need the full version?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you think it is worth it to buy the cable at www.obdtool.com for $71 and then use Ross's software for the $99. You would save the $80 for the cable compared to the Ross cable which costs $150. Will that work?

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I have the obdtool cable, and it is fine. I don't know if they have one that is for USB, though. Most laptops don't have a serial port anymore and I hear that just using a converter doesn't work.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Hit the Info forum for the VAG-COM owners list link and find someone near you who has one... you cannot deny the quality of Uwe Ross' cables. I could have built my own, but I wouldn't trust it as much as I trust the HEX-COM (just a version identifier, really) I bought. I've scanned everything from a MkIII Golf with 120K on the ticker to a Touareg on a test drive.

If you're in a part of PA near Frederick, MD, there's a gtg in another few weeks where I'll have my kit along with me. All I ever ask for is good beer. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts