Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I read the posts on this forum, a lot of users seem to be using VAG COM. I'm interested in this tool, but do not know much about it. I googled it and all I got were messages from forums. I searched on this forum but couldn't find much information on it.

Basically what I want to know is what exactly is it, what can be done with it, and how much does it cost.

TIA

·
Registered
428 Posts
VAG-COM is Windows software developed by Ross-Tech LLC to perform the functions of the Volkswagen AG scan-tools (1551,1552) used by VW technicians (stuff like reading and interpreting fault codes, among many other things). Typically the software is installed on a laptop PC, which is interfaced to the ISO-9141 diagnostic connector in our cars via a cable that attaches to the serial or USB port on the laptop.
You can download a trial version of the software from Ross-Tech to make sure it runs properly on your PC; they sell USB-ISO 9141 and serial-ISO 9141 cables along with the full version of VAG-COM for $229 to $349, depending on which cable interface you choose.

Speaking of VAG-COM, anyone bringing a laptop so equipped this Sunday for Chicagoland shop/diag/detail day? Anyone? Anyone? :wink:

·
Registered
616 Posts
Haris_P said:
As I read the posts on this forum, a lot of users seem to be using VAG COM. I'm interested in this tool, but do not know much about it. I googled it and all I got were messages from forums. I searched on this forum but couldn't find much information on it.

Basically what I want to know is what exactly is it, what can be done with it, and how much does it cost.

TIA
Just got it recently. Very interesting, imformative, and fun! I was able to check for fault codes, monitor performance (either logged over time or in real time,) and most recently, adapt the locks to lock when the car goes 10 mph. (Most new Vw's are defaulted to this.)

Worth every penny to have the registered version.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.