Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks!

Just a couple of questions! I am obtaining a copy of VAG-COM, I presume it has to go on my computer? And another thing is, are the connection leads readily available, or can I make one myself easily enough?

Also, is my cars diagnostic connector under that rubber bit next to my hand brake? It's a B5 turbo diesel.

Cheers!! :bow:

·
Loose female member
4,889 Posts
Lol, Brits don't you just love them. :)

Your right about the program, it's readily available from the Ross-Tech website.
This is in the un-registered version.
As for the cables, you could make them yourself. But you would still need to register the software to get it un-locked and use all the features.
The data point, might be next to the hand brake (Emergency brake for you Yanks)
Mine is under the dash. It's a purple coloured data plug.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Its fairly intuitive to scan for trouble codes and clear them. The measuring block data is sometimes labeled in confusing ways. I would recommend reading everything on the ross-tech website and also buying a copy of the Bentley Repair CD... the repair procedures include monitoring of specific measuring blocks as part of the troubleshooting process.

You'll want to learn how to do a throttle body adaptation: Ignition key ON, Engine not running --> 01-Engine --> 08-Measuring Blocks --> Block 060 --> Basic Settings --> Wait for "Adp. OK" --> Measuring Blocks --> Exit.

You can mess things up, sometimes permamently, of you just hack around with things like "recode" and "basic settings". Even browsing some basic settings can do damage if the car is not in the correct state (on/running/off, etc...).

The software itself is excellent. IMHO, ross-tech spent *way* more time on functionality and stability than on good-looks. :thumbup:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.