Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I just bought a B5, '02 1.8T. I picked it up in Oregon 21 days ago. That day I drove it back to Utah. Just outside of Twin Falls, ID, the CEL came on. Nothing seemed odd about my driving experience so I ignored it and continued the drive home. Now, a few things have happened since then... I purchased Uwe's fabulous VAG-COM, the HEX-COM to be precise, and I've begun diagnosing the CEL.

The error code I'm getting is: 17536 - Fuel Trim: Bank 1 (Mult): System too Lean

So, I read all over the forums about this and I've essentially come up with two ideas. One is that it is a bad MAF. Second idea is that it's a vacuum leak.

Well, having driven it for 21 days with the problem and having 2 or 3 days to actually look into it myself, I'm no mechanic, I've noticed the following:

First, I only got 26 MPG during the trip from Oregon, which seems low. Second, a couple of days after the CEL came on, I now get a high pitched whining noise or shriek whenever I cause any amount of boost. Third, 6 hoses were not fastened at all in the engine and the intercooler hose has been clipped on with a tiny little c shaped wire, not the stock clamp. I've put clamps on 4 of the 6 missing locations and I've ordered the stock clamp for the intercooler hose. I've reset my codes and I still get the whining and the same code invariably comes back.

Maybe I'm not looking at all the right hoses? I wish there were a simple diagram showing me all the hoses I should check. Anyhow, the whining noise persists, the car can't pass emissions with the CEL on and they won't pass me if I've recently cleared my codes. I need some help.

Thanks,

Ryan

·
Registered
146 Posts
Well as you said you can't get the car to pass without clearing the CEL. Plus you seemed to have narrowed it down to the MAF.

Side note: My car is doing the same thing, but I don't have to worry about the emission test :wink: .

Get the MAF, put it in and hopefully your CEL will go out. Then you can tell me if that was indeed the problem for the error code. Only thing now is I'm so use to it, I'd probably miss it :crazy: .

I'm pretty sure the noise you are hearing isn't tied in with the CEL. That could be a bearing or belt squeal or something similar. Hard to say. Does it go away after awhile? Is it only in the morning or any time you drive?

edit...you say when you are under boost. Maybe it's your turbo. This could happen if the car has had oil issues...or lack of it. Not entirely sure though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
New Code

Now I also have code 16804, which is indicating a catalyst problem. This sucks, my B5 whines when it boosts, it can't pass emissions due to the lean code, and now it's indicating the o2 sensor has problems? Maybe I'm just unlucky, but I'm starting to wonder if a B5 is a very well crafted vehicle. Now I'll be dropping a ton of cash to check out my turbo, o2 sensors, MAF, and maybe even my cat. This car only has 52k miles. I'm going to have to say I'm not very impressed so far.

·
Registered
195 Posts
same problem

i have the same problem you described for 4 months now- the CELand emission workshop light comes on after after 3 starts after i clear that 17536 code-
before the code came on I have changed my DV, vacuum hoses and installed a boost gauge- i am dying to figure out the problem as when the cel triggers it cause the chip to go into limp mode (normal mode) until i clear code again.
I just ordered a maf for the 2.0 which they say can work on the 2001 passat- got it for 70 with shipping, going to give it a shot and look at my vacuum hoses again. If it still comes on - I guess off to the stealership rrrrrrrrrrggggggg-
will update when i get the MAF hopefully next week

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
New MAF

Yeah, if a new MAF works please let me know. I would love to figure this one out without replacing too many parts.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Re: New Code

linuxed said:
Now I also have code 16804, which is indicating a catalyst problem. This sucks, my B5 whines when it boosts, it can't pass emissions due to the lean code, and now it's indicating the o2 sensor has problems? Maybe I'm just unlucky, but I'm starting to wonder if a B5 is a very well crafted vehicle. Now I'll be dropping a ton of cash to check out my turbo, o2 sensors, MAF, and maybe even my cat. This car only has 52k miles. I'm going to have to say I'm not very impressed so far.
In my experience, after codes are cleared, it takes a few starts before the CEL shows up again. If you want to pass emissions, just clear the codes right before you go. As far as actually fixing the problem, I can't really offer any advice...I've had a "Secondary Air Injection: Insufficient Flow" code for almost a year now and it sucks, but it's probably my fault for putting the supercharger on. I definitely think the B5 is a well crafted vehicle, I never had any problems until I started installing mods myself and therefore I am the only person to blame :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Code Clearing

You can't clear the codes before going to pass emissions. The emissions check uses your own computer. I tried that trick. :D

·
Registered
272 Posts
your o2 code is most likely tied to the other codes, one fault will cause multiple codes since one system out of whack is more likely to cause another to be outsde of tolerances, try the maf since they are a common failure item (there is an extended warranty from VW on those), and see if that takes care of the rest of the codes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Replaced o2 sensor before the Cat

Okay, I've replaced the o2 sensor before the Cat, as it was showing bad when a mechanic tested it. Anyhow, this didn't clear up my problem. Same codes pop up. Now I've bought the 06A906461L part #'d MAF and I'll be putting that in as soon as it arrives, $100 on eBay, my MAF isn't under the extended warranty protection since it's a '02 passat with 50k miles. I worry a bit because the dealer indicated that I should be using 06A906461n as opposed to the l that I've purchased. Does anyone know if this is likely to be a problem?

Thanks,

-Ryan

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
linuxed said:
Third, 6 hoses were not fastened at all in the engine and the intercooler hose has been clipped on with a tiny little c shaped wire, not the stock clamp.
Some AWM engines came with o-ring connectors at the intercooler hoses. At almost 70k, my o-rings start to leak after about a week of driving. Pull up on the "c" shaped wire, pull the hose straight out of the intercooler, and reseat it -- it can't hurt to try. (At this point, i've also wrapped the o-ring groove with several wraps of teflon tape to make the o-ring fit a bit tighter.)

Good luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I replaced the MAF and the CEL went away. It gave me time to pass emissions and inspection. Then it came on about a day later. Then it went away a week after that. Now it's been another week and it's still off. Don't ask me. I don't want to know what's up with it. I'm just glad I got it to pass.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
linuxed said:
I replaced the MAF and the CEL went away. It gave me time to pass emissions and inspection. Then it came on about a day later. Then it went away a week after that. Now it's been another week and it's still off. Don't ask me. I don't want to know what's up with it. I'm just glad I got it to pass.
Now file you a claim with VWoA for a reimbursement for the cost of the MAF.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts