Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys...

I'm getting ready to redo my vac lines according to some of the procedures that I have read as I have some of the symptoms.

My question is where do I get replacement line? Can I just go to my local auto shop and get about 20' of silicone lines? If so, what is the dia of these hoses, 3/8"?

Thanks!
-Mitch

99 Passat 1.8T
04 Volvo XC70
69 Triumph GT6+

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
I'm using the upgraded vacuum hose, a member on PW mentioned it. You'll need 3 feet. Partnumber is N 101 965 02. I used ABA mini clamps size 10 & 11 with this hose, the wall of the hose is thicker than the original hose.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I bought 10 ft. of 3.5mm vac hose from hightempsilicone.com. Was about $20 with shipping. There's also hosetechniques.com, I think it's called. I found some blue zip ties at Advance Auto to secure my blue hoses; they seem to be holding up just fine after a few months.

·
Registered
2001 Passat wagon; 2016 Golf Sportwagen
5,503 Posts
I bought 10 ft. of 3.5mm vac hose from hightempsilicone.com.
As did I. Highly recommend parts supplier, much better material than even the "upgraded" dealership tubing.

I found some blue zip ties at Advance Auto to secure my blue hoses; they seem to be holding up just fine after a few months.
I use the smallest-size worm drive clamps, but I think I prefer your idea.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I'm curious why those with '99 1.8Ts are getting away with only purchasing 3.5mm when my '99 AEB has two different size vacuum hose.

Where can I get the swedish clamps ECS sells? I can't see spending almost $10 for shipping on 20 clamps that totals about $13. I need 12mm-14.3mm clamping diameter

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
I use the smallest-size worm drive clamps, but I think I prefer your idea.

Id like too see you try to get a warm drive clamp on that connection below the intake manifold.... :Yikes: i scraped the hell out of my hands doing my hoses, mostly all came from attaching that one hose under the manifold, and then using McGyver techniques to attach a zip tie around it.

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
my assumption is price. same quality product, but cheaper when bought other than the dealer.
ehh, and there lies the problem. they are not the same. the "upgraded" passat hose is fiber re-enforced to minmize flexing and is very stiff. i dont think generic silicone vac hose can make the same claim.

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
...the "upgraded" passat hose is fiber re-enforced to minmize flexing and is very stiff.
...and after you get through paying ~$11 a meter :Yikes: for said hose at the dealership, you will think you've been "stiffed".

I'm not too worried about vacuum hose flexing under boost. How much volume could ~2.75 meters of 3.5mm vacuum hose have in comparison to the rest of the pressurized intake tract?

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
...and after you get through paying ~$11 a meter :Yikes: for said hose at the dealership, you will think you've been "stiffed".

I'm not too worried about vacuum hose flexing under boost. How much volume could ~2.75 meters of 3.5mm vacuum hose have in comparison to the rest of the pressurized intake tract?
the current price (not from 2003 when i made the pic) is $7/meter...a little less now.

as far as flexing goes...its not a volumetric effect. its an energy/work effect that impacts the overall volumetric effciency and control reponse of the engine as a system. admittedly a very small impact.

but as they say, the proof is in the pudding. for my mods, no one comes close to matching my dyno performance. maybe the sum of my little tweaks has had an impact...id like to think so.
my mods

*edit:
(dyno performance: between 195 and 220 AWHP, depending on the dyno)
(short mod list: K04 with stock smic, stock air box and stock exhaust)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts