Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:mad: :mad: :mad:
I have gone through just about all of them in the past few weeks. For some reason, lately the factory ones have been going out on me. I replace the braided shit with silicone.
Is this normal? Should I look into it?

Thanks
Brian

·
Registered
666 Posts
dublife said:
:mad: :mad: :mad:
I have gone through just about all of them in the past few weeks. For some reason, lately the factory ones have been going out on me. I replace the braided shit with silicone.
Is this normal? Should I look into it?

Thanks
Brian

Hey, which hoses are these, where do they run? I believe this could be happening to my car at any moment.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Two questions:
1. How many feet of 3.5mm hose does a 1.8T require?
2. Which "Blue" from HoseTechniques is the best match for the blue color of the engine cover's VW emblem?

·
Banned
9,668 Posts
atomicalex said:
Mine all failed within a 4 week period. Silicone - fancy blue silicone! ;)
Courtesy of Scuba. :p

Brian, its normal to have thoses hoses crap out. VW did a horrible job, IMO, of creating such hose that likes to dry out and fall apart so easy. I think their problem is, is that the hose is so thin. The rubber just cant take too much heat before it begins to crack. If you have more issues, and Ill point out some tips to you on Saturday at SouthernVolks.

Steve

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good stuff. I thought the hoses were my problem but I was wrong.
I was driving back from Chattanooga on Sunday and all of a sudden, factory boost. I looked at my guage and it read 6lbs. I stopped and saw the hose was frayed so I kept going until I could get to replace it. Then, I get a CEL :mad:
I replace the hose yesterday, everything is fine. Until I drive home, back to this stock boost :cry: Its f'ing annoying! Im going to my mech tomorrow to hook it up to the VAG.
Can yall think of any problems?

Thanks
Brian

·
Registered
921 Posts
WHEN I CHANGED MINES IT LOOKE LIKE THAT
AND DECIDED TO TEST TO SEE IF IT HAD BEEN LEAKING AIR
IT HAD NO HOLES AND WAS STILL HOLDING VAC
IT JUS LOOKS BAD
THE DEALER THREW IN HOSES AND CLIPS FOR MY PURCHASE OF A
BRAND SPANKING NEW ABS CONTROLER

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
10 ft is enough for any engine, although AEB engines have only 3 hoses so will need slightly less.

The vaccum system is critical for the proper operation of the turbo, and has several weak points. The vaccum lines q.v., the MAF, which VW admits is bad and warranties it for 70K miles, and the DV, which we should all know about by now.

Start with the cheapest (DV and Vaccum lines) then replace the MAF (most expensive...order through Liberty) last.

I went through all of them and have been trouble free for 18 months.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
I HAVE HAD THE SAME EXACT PROBLEM I NEED TO FIND SOME NICE HOSE'S THEY FACTORY HOSE'S ARE SH#@ sorry it just bugs me i have paid the dealer ove r50$ for pointless stuff

·
Registered
400 Posts
hey drive did you order that yet if so i would like to know because mine wore out in the same place but i didnt measure up 3.5mm and i own the 99 1.8 so does anyone know if im safe to order 3.5mm?

·
Registered
170 Posts
coloradob5 said:
10 ft is enough for any engine, although AEB engines have only 3 hoses so will need slightly less.

The vaccum system is critical for the proper operation of the turbo, and has several weak points. The vaccum lines q.v., the MAF, which VW admits is bad and warranties it for 70K miles, and the DV, which we should all know about by now.

Start with the cheapest (DV and Vaccum lines) then replace the MAF (most expensive...order through Liberty) last.

I went through all of them and have been trouble free for 18 months.
Ditto on what Dub said! I went the same route. I have been trouble free for about 8 months.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm on the same boat! I thought about having the dealer fix it, but I'm afraid they will replace the hoses with the same crap :thumbdow: .

What are you guys using to clamp the hose to the barbs?

1 - 20 of 67 Posts