Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone have problems with their valves tapping on v6? i turned off my radio one day and noticed the valves tapping. you can really hear them around 3000 rpms. i checked my oil and it was below the marking but not too bad. im going to change my oil tomorrow and see what happens. i run 5-40w synthetic oil. the oil light never went on yet. could i have messed up any anything. anyone have this problems or got any repairs done? can it be covered on the 10/100k warranty. i have my maintenance book filled out along with some but not all reciepts.

·
Retired PassatWorld Staff
6,165 Posts
be sure you are not hearing the ignition system instead of the valves.

There's a snap or pop to the ignition, at a glance could be considered valve slap. If you chack your oil and it's low... think valves. If not, listen very close to see.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
almost 70k? i dont think its the ignition cause it varies with the rpms. any of you guys use dino yet? will it void the warranty. im think of switching over to dino after 100k is up

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
secondary air injection pump clicks all the time. Its a little cylinder attached to the top of the airbox with a rubber grommit. See if thats it. If it is, its normal, don't worry.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
just changed the oil with some valvoline 5-40w syn. sounds better but still some valve noise. sounds like the left/passenger side is tapping more. i going to do a tune up this weekend and see if that helps. and clean the throotle body.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
im just saying im going to do it as part of my tune up. throttle body cleaning prolly only give a crisper throttle response. the tapping on this engine not as bad as ive heard on v8 with the wrong valve lash or bad lifters but usually once they get tapping it just going to get louder.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts