Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, doing my TB job currently, and while doing it decided to change the driverside block's timing chain tensioner, since it has started to ratle between 650 - 1300rpm...

But, when phoned to the VW-dealer they literaly knocked me out, 720€ per peace, and the mofo had the guts to ask "how many of those you want?"... FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFIUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!

I mean, is that thing realy that expensive, or is the finnish vw-dealer robbing me once again ?

·
Registered
27,770 Posts
They are very expensive in the USA too. Double the price of a 1.8T tensioner and you have 2 of them on the V6!

I would try a little bit thicker oil and see if that helps.

·
Registered
221 Posts
It's just the way VW has them priced. Even on ECSTuning, the VW/Audi unit costs $686 (for the AWM 1.8T) compared to an aftermarket price of $200.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is interesting... Disasebled the whole front end today, in order to change the timing belt, and while its open, change the tensioner.

Popped the valvecovers out, and were bit confused... The tensioners looked just fine. The chain is equaly tight on both sides, you can lift it like ~1mm by your fingers. There ain no scratching marks anywhere, on the cylinderhead, or the valvecover. "chainlagger" looked ok also.

Now my question is, is there anyway you can diagnose that it is 100% the tensioner that is cousing the ratling / resonating sound ?

I checked the Audifins forum, and theyve been having lot of problems whit the chain tensioners on s4's, but they all had fault codes from it, i got none.

The noice it makes is metallic resonation / ratle, and it only comes between 1000-1300rpm... Sounds exacly like there would be some exhaus heatshield loose, but there aint. (Tho, founded out that my A/C compressor was half loose, another of bolts holding it on block was dropped )

Any ideas ?

·
Registered
27,770 Posts
You will not be able to tell visually until it is so bad it damages the engine. MY CCT only rattles at startup for 1-2 seconds as has not thrown a code (been that way for 4 years).

I've seen several ones that rattle all of the time on the 1.8T and they did not throw codes either.

I would rule out any other source of vibration before replacing the CCT. Check the catalytic convertor.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You will not be able to tell visually until it is so bad it damages the engine. MY CCT only rattles at startup for 1-2 seconds as has not thrown a code (been that way for 4 years).

I've seen several ones that rattle all of the time on the 1.8T and they did not throw codes either.

I would rule out any other source of vibration before replacing the CCT. Check the catalytic convertor.
I think i founded the ratle maker... My timing belt's tensioner (the one whit springload, pushes the roller) was stuck at bottom position, allowing the timing belt to vibrate, + the AC compressor that was hanging on dropping point... Also found that all of the accessorybelt rollers were soing some ratle... :/

But, starting to feel pretty confident that it aint the the chain tensioner, what ive searched, the tensioner based ratle should turn bit better when you change to thiker oil, went from 0/30 to monograde 40 for testing, and no affect.

Also, the fact that it only ratles during that small rpm sector, points towards that its something resonating...

But thanks for replyes, il keep you informed how this goes on... :)

btw, washed the engine whit thos salt acid based cleaner (PH1 )... Damn that thing looks like new one now :p

·
Registered
27,770 Posts
Good thing you caught the timing belt tensioner before it jump a few teeth. I've heard several rattle when they are shot, but most were on the 1.8T.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts