Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any threads on timing belt replacement for the V6? How difficult is it and whats involved? Are there any threads with a step by step? Pictures would be really helpfull.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Its pretty involved... I would say its about 5 hours for a decent mechanic, maybe 10 for someone who doesn't know much. I think there is a write up in our Information Forum, but i'm not sure.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
I am guessing the V6 is not too far off from the procedure on a 1.8T. A combination between Haynes (for pictures) and Bentley manuals would probably give you enough information on the process involved. I would guess it is safe to assume 8-10 hours of work if you have never done it before.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Yes, there are 2 write ups for replacing the V6 timing belt. Unfortunately, I have the thread ID's on my home computer, not here at work.

One write up was done by Msquared. It was in reply to the write up for the 1.8 that DaddyMatt wrote (this is the write up that is in the Information Section). Use the 'search' function to find anything by Msquared (there will be a lot) and just browse thru and you'll find it. Again, his very good write up is in the DaddyMatt original timing belt thread (but not in the revised write up that is in the Information Section). So, his write up is not its own thread, but in the DaddyMatt thread.

I can't remember the author of the 2nd write up. I found the write up by using the 'search' function for timing belt replacement threads and had to plow thru a bunch of material before finding it. If I remember, what I found was a link to a private web page with the write up on that page.

I'll be doing the timing belt replacement chore on my V6 this summer, so I've been collecting info on how to do it. I know both authors suggest buying special VW tools that lock both cam wheels and the crank into place while the timing belt is off so you don't have to worry about lining up timing marks and such when installing the replacement belt. The parts didn't seem too expensive as I remember.

Hope this helps. If none of this make sense, sorry, it's early in the morning for me!

·
Registered
320 Posts
here is a link in audiworld.com to the tb replacement (no pics):

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/eng42.shtml

there is at least one other writeup in audiworld in the tech section.

ed martin did it last summer; here is his link. you might also want to read the thread as ed did something with the radiator that you may not actually need to do for the job.

http://phatcat_ed.tripod.com/V6.htm

·
Registered
121 Posts
Yes! the Ed Martin write up is the 2nd write up I was refering to in my previous message. Thanks for finding it. It's a good write up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts