Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read on this forum many times that the timing belt needs to be changed at 60K. I went by the dealer at 65K and talked to my man Demitry in the service department and he informed me that the powertrain warranty on the V6 covered the timing belt up to 100K. He told me to come back at 95K. At that point I assumed that the 60K replacement suggestion applied to the 1.8T

I was headed home from work on Wednesday, cruising at 70 mph or so. I came up on a car doing 60 in the left lane, took my foot off the gas, tapped the brake and when I put my foot back on the gas the car was dead. :nervous: I luckily found a hole in traffic and was able to coast to the right shoulder. I called my insurance company and was told a tow truck would come in about and hour. They showed 2 1/2 hours later while I waited in a pretty sketchy part of town.

I got the car to the dealer that afternoon and when Demitry put the key in the car and turned it he just shook his head. "Timing Belt?" I said. "It appears so" he replied. He told me they would open her up and diagnose and call me Thursday. When I called Thursday he told me that the timing belt wasn't broken. It had somehow slipped off and snaked back.(???) I told him I needed to get some stuff out of my car and would be by to take a look at it. I went by there that evening and sure enough, the timing belt isn't broken but it's not on the pulleys properly either. It's frayed on both edges but it's still in one piece :???: I talked to Demitry while I was there and asked him when they would start on the repair and he told me that they were going to submit the details to VW to determine if VW would pay for it. He told me he would call me Friday to let me know. I called today (Friday) and left a message and never heard back. :mad:

My car has 68K miles on it, it's been in for all of it's scheduled maintainence, I change the oil every 3K-4K miles even though the manual recommends changing every 5K and I have receipts to prove it. I realize that VW needs to make sure they are at fault before they do a $2000 job for free but I have an uneasy feeling since he didn't call me back today. Is the dealer gonna try to screw me?

Aside: When I first dropped it off I mentioned the ASP aluminum crank pulley and asked if they could install it for me since they were going to have her opened up. He replied the they were a 'level 2' service department and that VW watches them very closely and it may or may not be possible for him to install the pulley for me. He said "lets establish what the problem is and then we'll discuss that later"

Thoughts, comments or suggestions anyone?

·
Registered
25,996 Posts
If you are the original owner or a family member of the original owner,you will be fine.
If you are a 2nd owner,you are screwed.
It appears the tensioner let go. I have not heard this to be a problem on the V6.It is
common on the older 1.8T tensioners.

I bet the total will be a lot more than $2000. Be sure to get the water pump replaced,
they are a problem area on the V6.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I have a V6 and my belt was frayed. My bearing on the water pump was bad and the pulley that is used by the timing belt was was very wobbly. The belt would not track properly because the pulley on the water pump was moving back & forth.
The water pump is covered by your warranty. If the belt came off because the water pump was bad, it should be covered. The dealer did replace my water pump
and new belt for free.

Good luck!

·
Banned
3,535 Posts
The dealer will not try to screw you . . they get paid by VW if the car is under warranty.
like PZ says
if you are the first owner you are fine .

·
Lisa Simpson
15,044 Posts
I would say from the service guy's comments about the pulley, he wants to get it covered for you. If he is coming right out and saying that he needs to make it look good for VW, he is putting the effort out to help you. :thumbup:

I think they will give a good fight for you with VW.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well luckily I am the original owner and the service guy is always pretty amicable toward me. Thanks for your comments. I'll keep you posted on what transpires.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just got off the phone with Demitry. VW is going to cover the cost of everything. The tensioner shaft broke and a lot of the valves are screwed up. Demitry tells me that labor to rebuild the valves will probably be more expensive than replacing the entire engine including the block. So I may get a BRAND NEW engine! :thumbup: The VW rep is coming by the dealership on Mon or Tues to look at it and they will let me know.

·
Banned
3,535 Posts
Demitry tells me that labor to rebuild the valves will probably be more expensive than replacing the entire engine including the block. So I may get a BRAND NEW engine!
it does not make sense. i dont think thay rebuild valves i think :???: they replace them.
I dont think you are going to get a new engine for that. but who knows ?
keep us posted.

·
Registered
25,996 Posts
You might as well have them replace most of what they pull off to reuse. The new
engine will probably be a rebuilt and may not come with a water pump,plugs,wires etc.

I think you wore it out keeping up with us at the GTG.

·
Registered
753 Posts
This may be a stupid question, but why would VW design an engine with a belt that would render it usless at 68K miles and warrenty it for a 100k? I mean what were they thinking? :crazy: I now understand why they changed the warrenty to 50K miles. But still, why not design a motor to go 200k instead of 60k? Are they that desperate to milk everybody to death on maintance costs? This kind of stuff makes me want to buy a Toyota out of protest!

·
Registered
5 Posts
My timing belt went in my 2000 passat ( Atw). Looking for an engine. Mine has 160 k on it. People have mentioned create engine. Does that mean new? Where does one look? I have a few leads... 41k for $2800.
Any ideas

·
Registered
675 Posts
Timing belts fail all the time on all kinds of different kind of cars. Even exotic cars with $20,000 engines can experience belt failure.

A timing belt is a pretty cheap-assed rubber solution to driving overhead cams, but it's cheap and quiet. Unless it fails. VW was crazy to warranty those engines to 100,000 miles.

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
Chris30vB5.5 said:
... VW was crazy to warranty those engines to 100,000 miles.
I almost agree with you, Chris. I have full confidence that I can get 100K miles / 160K km out of this enigne, but not without tightening up all of the maintenance schedules.

I treat all of VW's powertrain maintenance intervals as if they were in km instead of miles. I have read enough timing belt horror stories here to believe that, at least for city cars, a timing belt, tensioner, and water pump changeout at 60K miles /100K km is prudent, and postponing to 95 or 100K miles / 150 to 160K km is false economy.

It may be obvious to a seasoned technician, but VW should have also explicitly recommended a water pump and radiator hose replacement, along with a full cooling system flush, with the timing belt change.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Chris30vB5.5 said:
VW was crazy to warranty those engines to 100,000 miles.
Not really. It was actually good marketing and very well timed. This was used as a marketing tactic to increase market share to revive VW. As sales skyrocketed and market share increased, they shifted to the industry standard 4/50 warranty midway through the 2001 vehicle line.

VWs market share and total vehicle sales in the US was dismal prior to the new Beetle, Jetta, and Passat. Nowadays, VW sells more of each model than it did in total car sales in the mid-90s. To keep pricing down and aggressive with other makes, VW used the 2/24 warranty. In addition, to make owners feel better about the short B to B warranty, they warrantied the powertrain to 100K for original owners and vehicles sold to relatives. The powertrain warranty expired at 50K miles for all other sales or trade ins. Now, since most US consumers trade in cars every 3 years or so and drive over 15K miles per year, the bet was that most vehicles would be traded in with over 50K miles (or very near). I'm sure the number of (still) eligible 100K powertrain warranty vehicles to total 100K powertrain warranty vehicles sold is quite small. Even when a claim is submitted, VW is still way ahead on that gamble.

mrl

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
11 Participants
mrlvdub
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing