Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I got to give myself some pats on the back as I did the whole Timing Belt, water pump, thermostat shebang yesterday and fired her up and no grenade, just a nice smooth idle!

I will list a few things I found along the way help other doing the same thing...

-I did not remove the lover rad hose, just the upper one and I could pull the lock carrier far enough out to get lots of room in there, I set the lock carrier on a recycle bin.

-The fan bracket is a B%*CH, be careful about the 5mm bolt you take out through the hole in the pulley, it does not fit through the hole so take out the 3 6mm bolts first, 2 exposed and 1 through the pulley, then take out the 5mm bolt. I somehow stripped the threads on the engine side and could not get the bolt to go back in, I ended up wailing on it with a hammer until I could get it tight, not precise but we will see how it holds up..

-When taking off the Harmonic Dampener off the crankshaft be sure to tap your hex driver in the bolt with a hammer, I almost stripped the life out of one as they get filled with gunk over the years…

-A small nail makes a great pin for the TB tensioner, be patient when compressing as it is hydraulic do it takes a few seconds to compress, just keep pushing until you can slide the pin in.

-The thermostat O-Ring goes on the outside of the thermostat between the radiator connector and the thermostat, not between the thermostat and the block, duh I know, but I went to fast at this part and had to take it all apart again when I started filling the coolant and it pissed out the engine quickly. Simple things like this can make for a headache down the road if you are not careful.

-I had the special tools from VW, the crank lock and the cam bar. I could not find where to fit the crank lock so I didn’t use it but the cam bar came in handy for sure, I recommend it for helping putting on the TB itself.

-Here is how I got the TB on. I did not use the cam puller, which could have made life easier, but is not necessary for sure. I first put the belt on the crankshaft, make sure all the teeth are in and then I ran it up to the right cam, To get it on the cam without missing any teeth I took my trusty cam bar and only put it on the right cam and used it as a wrench and moved the cam clockwise less than 10 degrees, this allowed me to get the belt the right cam no problem. Then it was under the water pump and to the left cam, I did the same thing with the cam bar on the left cam, turned it clockwise less than 10 degrees and slid the belt on no problem. Now when you turn the cam back to where it was it should almost line up perfectly with the other cam, it will be very slightly off but you can see how when the belt stretches it will be perfect. Next just slip it over the tensioner as it is easy because it is a smooth pulley and pull the pin and torque your tesnioner. You have to make sure you are not to tight here, you should be able to twist the belt about 90 degrees between the tensioner and the right cam, it should be tight but not stretched. Do a couple of rotations of the crank to make sure it turns freely and you have nothing to worry about!!

-When putting the harmonic dampener back on the crankshaft be sure to line it up the same way it was before, there are little slots that will match up to make the TDC mark on the dampener at the same place.

-Check the O-Ring in the rad hose and make sure it is seated properly and not damaged, it is recommended that you replace it but not crucial.

-When putting the lock carrier back on make sure that the wires from the wiring harness are not going to hit the fan.

-I did the “key in the on position without the engine running throttle body alignment” before I started and I had no idle problems.

-Pray to Jesus, Allah, Moses, Buddah, Shaq, whoever before you start the car and you shall be spared!

As far as assistance, I used the trusty Bentley book and a few write-ups. IMHO the best of the best is http://phatcat_ed.tripod.com/V6.htm. He did a great job with this write-up and I found it very helpful!

I will see about posting some pics as well and don’t hesitate to PM me with questions. Thanks to everyone on here who helped me when I had a problem!!

:beer: Nate

8,184 Posts
Glad it worked out for you, I know the PM didn't help you that much but great job. :thumbup: I told you...you didn't really need the cam puller, unless you where doing the cam seals too but you still don't need them there too.

·
Grinding Gears...gone fishing!
22,610 Posts
RUSTY, Kenny or AA

can this be moved to the info forum please:)

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well if the engine does blow you could always replace it with Shaq, he must put out 195Hp at the crank, probably only about 10HP to the wheels though... Lotsa tourque though... :lol:

Thanks pson and PZ, your PMs were helpful for sure!!

8,184 Posts
Well if the engine does blow you could always replace it with Shaq, he must put out 195Hp at the crank, probably only about 10HP to the wheels though... Lotsa tourque though... :lol:

Thanks pson and PZ, your PMs were helpful for sure!!
No problem, The funny thing is...you got the same bar I did two TB with..lol. My man oille hooked you up with it, and yes it to saved my %^4# a few times while doing the TB. If you have any other question you know where we are:lol:

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No problem, The funny thing is...you got the same bar I did two TB with..lol. My man oille hooked you up with it, and yes it to saved my %^4# a few times while doing the TB.
:lol: Who will get the tools next.... I think I might be doing my friends 00 4Mo and then I will sell the tools...

If anyone wants em send me a PM! :thumbup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts