Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I need to replace two sensosr(Part Number: 078906265m) before catalytic converter
where can i find these on my car my friend wants to charge me 80.00
to do it but i thinkit shouldn't be that hard for me to replace them...

can you guys help me locate the oxygen sensors...

thanks,

·
Registered
594 Posts
actually they are difficult..but not impossible...they are located after your catalytic converters..one per bank/side....you can use an adjustable wrench to get them off or most auto part stores sell a special tool designed for this purpose...disconnect connector then remove the sensor....the easiest way to install new ones is to drop them down behind the engine first, tighten in its bung, then connect the wires....the pre-cats are the connectors that are black, and the other two that are the post cats are brown and green, dont mix the colors w/ the wrong sides.so replace one at a time..hope this helps

·
In reverse, but chained to a tree.
13,906 Posts
once you take a look on the underbody of the car you really can't miss them.
i would recomend paying a visit to your local tool and auto-parts store and picking up a "02 sensor socket" it looks like a normal REALLY deep socket, but has a channel cut down one side that allows the wires to not get crimped when you push it on over the sensor. after that, just ratchet it off.

if you want my complete honest opinion, just go ahead and do all 4 of them, should you feel up to it, and get that job out of the way. i can imagine that if the two post are dead, then the ones before that are almost there as well.

and be sure to get the SAME ONES listed by VWoA. call a dealer and ask what kind, and who theyre by.
using other funky brands with novelty-this and convenience-that can not work, or cause problems from what i've heard.

also a good time to buy a haynes manual in the very least.

quick Q though, is your buddy a mechanic in a shop, or is he a shade-tree mechanic?

·
Registered
594 Posts
I agree w/ sipes, replace all four, when I said replace one at a time I meant all in one shot...just do not get them mixed up..

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oh. badass.

why don't you just buy him a 6 pack and tell him to bring his tools? :lol::beer:
my friend wants to get paid...

He said he can change my Valve covers for 100.00 bucks not
sure if that's a good price:nervous:

·
Registered
87 Posts

...the...gaskets? or the actual covers? with parts?
new gaskets from dealership = 77$ each (i called and asked today)
installation of gaskets from dealership = 150$ each (see above)
... so either way thats a win, but if he meant the actual valve covers :hmmm: I can't calculate how much those cost. Knowing them, probably more than we all paid for our cars.

·
In reverse, but chained to a tree.
13,906 Posts

that is certifiably a holy-shit good price.
my job for that had cost me $641, as i had an oil leak at the time.
though i didn't change the covers, i had new gaskets installed.

turns out after 8 changes in 5 months, it was a different part of the engine leaking the oil. :lol:

the real repair would have cost me $1300 so i got REAL lucky :thumbup:

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
...the...gaskets? or the actual covers? with parts?
new gaskets from dealership = 77$ each (i called and asked today)
installation of gaskets from dealership = 150$ each (see above)
... so either way thats a win, but if he meant the actual valve covers :hmmm: I can't calculate how much those cost. Knowing them, probably more than we all paid for our cars.
he said the valve cover gasket for two... i have to buy the parts

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
If you don't mind splicing wires, AutoZone has what are otherwise OEM universal sensors for about $65 each and they'll loan you the special socket. I went that route on my V6 and the new one works fine. The driver side front sensor is accessible by setting aside the coolant reservoir. The passenger side is in a similar location.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you don't mind splicing wires, AutoZone has what are otherwise OEM universal sensors for about $65 each and they'll loan you the special socket. I went that route on my V6 and the new one works fine. The driver side front sensor is accessible by setting aside the coolant reservoir. The passenger side is in a similar location.
so both sensors are by the engine?

if i were to get the autozone universal sensors will i get any errors
when i try to do a read out?

thanks,

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
27,900 Posts
there are four O2 sensors on a V6. one before, and one after each catalytic convertor (obviously, there are two of these as well).

I've heard people have mixed successes with using universal sensors. how you proceed is up to you.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts