Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just changed the oil on my 2000 V6 and noticed that when my engine is cold, the oil hits the dipstick right in the middle. On the other hand when the engine is warm the oil level is right at the top just over the plastic. Which should I be going by?

Thanks...

·
Registered
9,118 Posts
A very common question--I've decided that the 10-minutes-after-shutdown is the most accurate reading.

Also, make sure you're on level ground. I've had a lot of weird readings on slight inclines. :thumbup:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So if the oil is on the plastic at that point would you drain some off? It's about 3 to 4 mm abouve what I would consider full. Interesting that is so much higher when warm. Time to get that oil pump I guess.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Hold on,.....what you are saying does not make sense. If the oil level is correct when the engine is cold, it should be slightly lower if you check it soon after shutdown. Make sure you pull the dipstick out and wipe it clean before checking the oil when it's hot.

I know this sounds pretty basic, but you would be surprised at how many self-claimed mechanics and forum geniuses don't know how to check oil. I normally set my level so that it's at about the top of the hash-marked area when the engine is cold. If I check it right after shutdown, it will read about 1/16 inch lower. Hope this helps. Make sure you check it real good before you drain some out.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I must be on some good stuff then but as you say this doesn't make sense. I have checked it many times and when cold it looks fine but heated up the oil level shows a fair amount higher on the stick. Gonna go look again but as I said I have checked it many a time already. :suspicio:

·
Registered
675 Posts
Not enough to cause the oil level to rise into the plastic range.

It takes about 10 minutes for oil in the heads to return to the pan via gravity.

Mardigan, sorry man, I didn't mean to insult you. There may be something wrong with your car. I've owned and maintained over 30 cars in my lifetime and I've never seen one that does like yours.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No problem here, just looking for some insight. I checked the oil about an hour after warm and the oil is just at the plastic. Gonna check it again in the morning and see where it's at. I suppose it's possible that there is a problem somewhere but it appears to be in perfect working order, and I'm not sure what problem is going to cause my oil level to rise.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Good luck :beer:

For what it's worth, I think the V6 dipstick design with the plastic parts is lame. What the hell is is the plastic for anyway? Sometimes after I change the oil, there's not enough contrast with clean oil to see the level at all. I"ve also found that if I take take the dipstick out, wipe it off and let it set out of the engine for a few minutes, it's easier to read. My theory is that the oil in the stick-tube drains back into the pan and gives a cleaner reading.

:nervous: Now, I need to go take my medicine :lol:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Could this have anything to do with switching from dino to sythetic? I just bought the car used and the dealer (non vw) had the oil changed when I picked it up. I am guessing they used dino but I have since started using Valvoline Synpower 5w40.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I didn't think so but I didn't want to leave anything out. I'll try leaving the 'lame' dip stick out and see what I get in the morning and then again when I get home from work.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Chris30vB5.5 said:
Hold on,.....what you are saying does not make sense. If the oil level is correct when the engine is cold, it should be slightly lower if you check it soon after shutdown.
What you say is strange. When oil gets hot it expands. So readings should be higher with warm oil then with cold oil (in ideal case, same amount of oil in belly pan). If you compare a cold oil reading to a reading immediately after shutdown, a lot of oil hasn't returned to the belly yet, so that's why your readings are lower. However, if you wait 10 minutes, most oil has returned. The oil is still warm (if not hot) and readings should be higher.
Hope this helps.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
5 Participants
nojevive
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing