Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the last 4000 miles I have used 3 quarts of oil in a 2001.5 manual trans V6. The car has 34000 miles. Is this normal? It is not leaking out.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Thats one quart every 1333 miles - Just outside the realm of what VW considers "normal" oil consumption (1 quart every 1000 miles).

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is sort of what I thought, that this would be considered "normal" by VW. Does driving it hard use more oil?

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
DrivinAJetta said:
Thats one quart every 1333 miles - Just outside the realm of what VW considers "normal" oil consumption (1 quart every 1000 miles).
Im sorry that is not normal! Where is the oil going :???: Ive never owned a car that used oil like that! Matter of fact none of the vehicles I owned used/burned whatever any oil at all between oil changes(3000).
My old Caddy(beater car) with over a 100K does not use oil between oil changes(3000).
I have been seeing this oil consumption posts for the 1.8T but now the V6 too. I thought maybe the oil was being burned up because of the turbo.
All in all this oil consumption is not acceptable. To have to add 1 quart every 1K is :crazy: 34K is like brand new!
Where is it going :???:
I wish I would have found this forum before I bought my Passat. :roll:

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One thing for certain, it is not leaking. The engine is clean and dry and there are no oil spots on the ground.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
good point on the belly pan! I guess I am about to find out if this Masterguard warranty that I bought is worth anything

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
you are spending 30-35% more than it is by factory stated.
Eating oil is normal on some engines, Alfa Romeo have almost 1quart per 600 miles

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
My 1 comment about this being normal is that most, if not all of these engines would consume oil at that rate. I am now on my third car with the 1.8T engine 2 of them did not consume any oil. I have one that is consuming more than I would like and is going in to be looked at.

A quart betwen oil changes is a little much, a quart every 1000 miles means that you are completely replace the engine oil between changes, sorry, no way is that a correctly functioning engine. Its a closed system and that should not occur.

·
Registered
199 Posts
There have been many, many threads about V6 oil consumption over the past couple of years. I've followed them quite closely because I'm in the same boat as many other drivers - my V6 burns 1qt. per 1300 miles.

Here's a good thread: http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1186366

No, its not "normal" for an engine to consume such a large amount of oil - if it were "normal" none of us would be worried about it, would we? I guess VW considers it within their specifications for the engine to burn 1qt. / 1000 miles, but I doubt any of us would have purchased our cars if we knew that. I have to add 4qts of oil between oil changes -- I've basically given up on trying to be totally happy with my car as a result.

You can bring your car in for an oil consumption test if you are experiencing some oil loss - they'll top off your oil and mark the dipstick, then ask you to return either when it gets low or after 1000 miles. If your car has gone from consuming 0 oil to consuming quite a bit, then you might not have to go through a whole consumption test - you probably just need a new gasket somewhere.

I check my oil every time I fill the gas tank and keep careful records of how much I add. That's about all you can do because VW isn't going to give you the time of day unless you're losing more than 1qt / 1000 miles.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am due for another oil change and will bring the oil usage problem to the dealers attention. I will let you know what they say. I guess they will tell me its normal

·
Registered
151 Posts
darisgin said:
pass-variant said:
ms12339 said:
Mine consumes 1 quart every 3000 miles, 99 V6, 76 K miles

Tom
That's just about what I use on my 01 4Mo, 50k
Ditto at 35,000 miles
I just had mine in because I had a stuck Montreal rim I wanted rotated and they told me that something they have started seeing with Passats is the camshaft adjuster seals leaking oil. They said that with the cold, and the higher oil pressure building up, this is the weakest seal in the system and ends up leaking before the oil filter valve pops. The seals supposedly have been redesigned because of this.

I had mine done under the powertrain warranty (would have cost CA$1700 to fix otherwise). They re/re both camshafts, re/re camshaft adjusters, replaced camshaft adjuster seals, two gaskets and a clip.

A couple right before me in line had their Passat in for the same thing.

I would say take it in and have them check it for this condition.

I have 79,000 kms (just under 50,000 miles) on my 2001 GLX 5-speed

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
About this Discussion
33 Replies
20 Participants
crew217
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing