Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was disappointed to see that there's some smoking behind the driver's side valve cover once again at high revs. It's been about 2 years and 10k miles put on the car since I did the associated valve cover gaskets, cct seals etc. Also, changed the 2 breather hoses on top. Is there something I missed? I remember determining after some reading around that there was no additional breather hose behind the motor but now I'm wondering if I was wrong. I suppose it's also possible I messed up on the one of the seals. Any guidance? Thanks.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Clean it up, take it for a drive, and re-check it.

One other point that can leak: the cam plugs on the back of the heads. (I need to do those on wife unit's car soon.....)

·
Registered
319 Posts
oil smoke or coolant smoke?

There is an extremely annoying PCV vent hose on the back that leads to that multi-tap connection thing that is below the check valve....at least on the 2.8

·
Registered
26,616 Posts
Did you use OEM or aftermarket caps on the back? I had some new aftermarket caps (don't remember the name), that were so loose, they would fall out when the car was started.

·
Registered
4,562 Posts
All good points above.
Best bet, clean off the oil, drive it for while to find the source of the leak.

Places that are the most suspect.
1) Valve cover gasket, especially the part that goes over bearing cap piece that holds both the intake and exhaust cams down in the back of the head (drivers side).
2) The bearing cap piece that holds both the intake and exhaust cams down in the back of the head (drivers side).
3) Cam end cap seal on the exhaust cam.
4) Cam seal on the intake cam / underneath the CPS (Cam Position Sensor).

Depending on what year your car is and what version the PCV system is, you'll have at least a corrugated plastic hose going to the connection underneath the intake manifold at the very rear of the engine (actually connects to the engine crankcase via an aluminum housing mounted underneath the intake manifold), this will be connected to the air intake snorkel that mounts to the front side of the throttle body, or it will be connect to the "tee"
that connects the two plastic hoses from the valve covers, the suction valve and the PCV valve itself (hockey puck looking thing).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts