Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· PassatWorld Elder
27,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed the rubber sandwich section on my son's front pulley had pushed out and rubbed on the lower timing belt cover when I changed the timing belt last year (when we bought the car). I trimmed the rubber that was pushed out and wanted to replace the pulley, but I did not have one available. This March when he was home again, I decided to swap my old pulley (from my seized V6) into his car. This is what I found. The center weight had completely separated and was stuck to the melted timing belt cover. A little further and it would have made it to the timing belt. Surprisingly, it was not noisy at the time.

· PassatWorld Elder
8,248 Posts
That was a close one! Someone somewhere was watching over you my friend.

· PassatWorld Elder
27,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, what little rubber left inside was all cracked. Anyone want a light-weight V6 pulley?

· PassatWorld Elder
27,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I doubt my son has noticed and I did not drive it other than pulling it into the garage. I expect it would be a lot smoother at both idle and around 4K where the normal V6 vibration starts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.