Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts
I had both of mine done a year ago. I was left with a solid weld, but an annoying whistle that begins to howl past 2500 rpms.

I've had it looked at by four different shops and nobody can explain the sound.
Did you insult the mechanic before he did the work? Maybe he welded a "little surprise" inside the pipes. :mad:

+1. they pay kids 8 bux an hour to work in a muffler shop...or a brake shop....or an oil change place. I don't understand how dealershits have the mojo to to persuade people into thinking these things are made of unicorn poop.

AJ

Man some of you are chicken sh!t. this is the first post I have ever seen since I joined about a CEL from flex pipes, yours leak now..got a cel??? oh.
nothing has to come down or out of the car, they simply cut them out, weld them in..that is all there is to it when you have someone who knows what they are doing. If the shop has to order them, leave..they don't do it on a regular basis.
if you do get a CEL it is because you have clean air getting sucked in and the car will most likely run a little rich..throwing a lean code.

Update on my flex pipes ordeal - Midas did the job for an amazing price of $550..

Lesson learned for procrastinating with my inspection. I think Midas had the upper hand and charged accordingly knowing the predicament I was in.
At least the guy put the car back up on the lift and showed me his work.. Fvkr used 14k gold beads in his weld.
They should last me another 2-years which is all I want to get out of this car..

I'm moving back to BMW for my next car. Pre-owned none-the-less but a true drivers car..

03GLX4MO - Great clip on the whistle tips - LMFAO!

Thanks PW!

i had mine go out the day i bought my car.. back in 09 and replaced it at a muffler shop cut it out and put a new one in.. never caused a cel nor does the new one cause... one.. still runnin strong... if you get tired of it just put in a solid piece of tubing...

I got the same quote from Midas (over the phone).
Car is at a local, trusted mechanic's shop now. Leaking flex pipes, CEL w/ P0492 code. Dunno how good a welder he is, maybe he'll de-install the parts and send out to a custom shop.

I'm assuming it's best to fix this before road salts start getting in the cats this winter. Comments on this point?

Update on my flex pipes ordeal - Midas did the job for an amazing price of $550..

Lesson learned for procrastinating with my inspection. I think Midas had the upper hand and charged accordingly knowing the predicament I was in.
At least the guy put the car back up on the lift and showed me his work.. Fvkr used 14k gold beads in his weld.
They should last me another 2-years which is all I want to get out of this car..

I'm moving back to BMW for my next car. Pre-owned none-the-less but a true drivers car..

03GLX4MO - Great clip on the whistle tips - LMFAO!

Thanks PW!

CJV - Git 'er Done at Midas..
I was under the gun to get it done due to my own procrastination on my inspection and I did not have the luxury of shopping around at local independent.
They did a fine job and the guy at Midas let me look at his work when he completed the job. No CEL's for me...

Now I have to worry about a GD head gasket oil leak. I am reminded of it every time I drive the car as it smells like burning oil..

I got the same quote from Midas (over the phone).
Car is at a local, trusted mechanic's shop now. Leaking flex pipes, CEL w/ P0492 code. Dunno how good a welder he is, maybe he'll de-install the parts and send out to a custom shop.

I'm assuming it's best to fix this before road salts start getting in the cats this winter. Comments on this point?

Can you give me a idea how much flex pipes would cost for a 01 v6 4motion. They are not that old may 8 mos . I think the guy couldn't get to the top so he used some muffler cement.
Thanks
Dave

I had both of mine done around 6 months ago on my v6 4motion. I think it came to almost $300 (parts + labor) for the pair. I don't know the shop that did it, my buddy's mechanic (Diego at Rich's Citgo, in Berlin CT, not a gas station) sent it out to his welder. I was told before hand that they usually replace them with the exhaust still on the car. When I got the car home I spent at least 20 minutes inspecting them and couldn't find anything wrong.

Last time I was under there, around a month ago, they still looked great.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.