Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright looking for an exaust for my v6, and found one on Techtonics web site, only problem its $685.00.

My flex pipes are Ok but going, starting to fray and all, would it be worth it to get a full cat back or just replace my flex and possibly unbolt my cats. I am not worried what so ever about passing emmisions and all that, i can get that taken care of. So my question is it worth spending all that money for probably very little added preformance?

I am not going to lie, i have that modding bug thats going around and im getting fed up with with this v6 mods, other than super charger which is out of the question right now. You turbo people have it easy.

·
Grinding Gears...gone fishing!
22,610 Posts
get the flex replaced at a muffler shop and keep saving for the PES:thumbup:

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
I think that its just about the last thing to do. however, here's the question, whats the extra cost? If you're gonna be replacing parts teh cat back replaces and repair cost would be ~$200 already, i'd be hard pressed not to look at aftermarket systems. Of course you run into my big petpeeve with most aftermarket cat-back exhausts, teh tips. they just tend to look forced on the passat. Note that a cheaper option would just be to put some glasspacks in. Save some weight, get a better sound, and possibly a tiny amount of power (but likely not noticable)
i'd put the money in the PES fund otherwise though.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah thats what im thinking, i am gonna start searching on ebay and other sites for one maybe slightly cheaper, cause 5k is half what i payed for the car. Car would defintly fly with it though. Then agian in a year my car will probably have close to 100k on her...i just wanna rip out my motor and drop in a little turbo motor.

·
22,610 Posts
just to give you some incentive ill start it off...:lol:
:bowdown:

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
100k on a 2.8L is nothing at all, just warming up.
S/Cing it wouldn't be a problem as long as it passes through a leak down test.
Definitly better to get it for the PES ebay prices of under $4000

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh i have the whole res just cut out, sounds better but im not gonna lie, didnt notice too much if anything in power gains. Im deifntly gonna chip it maybe a light wieght pully, short shifter, and the DTS from awe tuning, this winter and once it gets a little nice out, new shocks and new wheels for my 17's and gonna start auto crossing. Can't lie thought i love my car, really do i get excited to get in and drive, as gay as that sounds. haha

·
22,610 Posts
dont get all that stuff.
keep saving.
you can find used for about $2500-$3000.
oh and PES has specials every so often $1000 off.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
That price is a rip off..although I wouldn't have though so a week ago. I went to a Meinike(sp?) muffler shop and asked them about a custom exhaust.. They only quoted me $400 for a DUAL catback exhaust w/ 2.25 aluminum piping and two flomaster mufflers. (I have a 4-Motion, hence the duals) You should be able to get a catback custom single exhuast done for even cheaper..if you want to go the new exhaust route..

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
dont get all that stuff.
keep saving.
you can find used for about $2500-$3000.
I would say a good suspension is important. Esp at 100k those shocks are wearing anyhow. I'm a strong believer in upgrading tires and suspension before power.
Good suspension, sway bar, strut bar, Snub mount, and PES and car will be awesome.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh your an sob scottpassat! Ha Damn bro, how sweet would that be? you have one on your car? Maybe i will win the lotto, even thought i dont play, which would be quite the achivemnet!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah the suspension has to come cause im gonna start auto crossing, but i am a power freak, love driving my friends M3, 350z, and even my friedns ko4turbo passat.

·
22,610 Posts
i had to choose
license or supercharger.
supercharger lost:thumbdown:cry:

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ohh tons of tickets? Im going to court tomorrow for a couple that i hadn't payed in a year, should be interesting, lets thank god for grandparents leaving there grandkids a couple bucks.

·
22,610 Posts
Ohh tons of tickets? Im going to court tomorrow for a couple that i hadn't payed in a year, should be interesting, lets thank god for grandparents leaving there grandkids a couple bucks.
so you know what im talkin about.
no tickets for me.
thats why no SC.
my license is crystal clear...crystal;)

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ha lets pray mine will be. Last time i had a women Judge, and she was cool, and im know as the biggest sweet talker to ever live so i am hoping i can get them reduced at least a little.

Cool story...Last time i went to cout some guy got arrested in court for speeding, what speed was he doing you ask? 190!!!! he was on a bike, dont know what kind had to be hyabussa or something huge, but 190! couldnt even imagine that.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts