Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

V6 - DTCs P3296 and P3262 still present after O2 sensor replacement last week

759 views 17 replies 5 participants last post by  khnitz 
#1 ·
I originally posted this in the "What did you do to your Passat today?" thread, but I thought this specific question might get more visibility with its own topic:

After I replaced all four O2 sensor last week, there were a couple of DTCs that popped up after the emissions learn cycle: P3296 and P3262. I replaced all of the sensors one at a time, so it is unlikely that I swapped connectors...but, I had DTCs before I replaced them, too, and that was after I removed the sensors to install the new flex joints last Spring (and I thought those DTCs were caused by how I had to use an oxy-acetylene torch to get them out, at that time).

P3296 - DTC 16543 035 - Bank2, O2 Sensor2: Slow Response
P3262 - DTC 19718 035 - references

I read these with a VAG 1552. I have VCDS, too - I can hook that up as well, if needed (it was just quicker to grab the VAG 1552 off the shelf).

I'll have to dig back into some of the materials I have from when I worked on the VW/Audi OnStar units at Motorola Automotive in the early 00's - I can't remember if "035" meant persistant/present/static at time of reading, or sporadic (stored, but not currently present).

Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated! For now, I cleared the codes again and am letting my son drive it around and through another emissions cycle to see if they come back.

See less See more
#6 ·
Seeing that you have VCDS, you can run an adaptation sequence on the car and during that process it will test each o2 sensor and give the status as a pass or fail.
Pretty much takes the guess work out of it.
Granted it doesn't give you a graph, but it verifies the functionality of each o2 sensor.

I don't need to worry about it anymore as I now live well outside the required emissions test zone, but when I was required to have an emissions test done, I would run the adaption sequence.
It was a 100% accurate way of telling me if the car would pass the state required emissions test or not.

Reactions: khnitz
#10 ·
Cool !

I was just nervous when the codes popped up after having just replaced the O2 sensors. I'll keep an eye on it (because it's not like my son would tell me if the Check Engine light came back on :censored:).

Now I can try and figure out what the little bit of rattling is when we start the car, the next time I get it back on the lift.

#11 ·
Correct. All is working just as it should.
FYI
If you use this as a tool to determine whether your car will pass emissions or not, make sure you put on the minimum number of miles for the learning process.
Off the top of my head I don't remember what that number is. I got busted one time because I went to the emissions station to early after resetting the codes and doing a readiness test.

#12 ·
If you use this as a tool to determine whether your car will pass emissions or not, make sure you put on the minimum number of miles for the learning process.
Off the top of my head I don't remember what that number is.
If I recall correctly, it's somewhere around 70miles. We don't have emissions test requirements here in MI, but it was required in the part of IL where we used to live.

#16 ·
I replaced all 4 sensors at the same time. I did it one-by-one, so I shouldn't have swapped the sensors when I replaced them. But, early last year I replaced the exhaust flex joints and took the converters off...so it may have been something I mixed up then. Anyway, my son has been driving the car (probavbly a couple hundred miles by now) since I replaced all 4 o2 sensors and cleared the codes again and they haven't come back...at least, as far as he knows. I'll check for codes again this weekend myself, to be sure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.