Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody had there v6 chipped and if so, what gains did you get after it was done? Any feedback would be appreciated :???:

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
I can advise to buy chip like Julian have :wink: :D
There is minor problem, that chip is requiring small modification on intake manifold :D

·
Registered
7,337 Posts
Sorry, Nenad and I are just chatting away on your thread. If you read through the link that I gave you, you'll find my feedback on the Wett chip. It was a very worthwhile mod. GIAC owners have said the same for their V6 chip as well. Smoother powerband, more power, better acceleration in 3rd and 4th gear. A V6 chip is definitely worth it. And the naysayers, well, they don't probably haven't driven a chipped V6 vs. a stock V6.

As for my mod, I have a supercharger, which is a slightly different modification (295HP). Hope that helps.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
I started, so I will excuse myself. Sorry for making a fun, I could not ressist.
Yes Julian recently put a chip on his V6 but that chip was neccessary because he put all new intake manifold.And he did it because he needs to cope with 295 HP on the crankshaft, i.e. he installed Suprecharger. Sorry aoei74.

To get back on your Q, yes it worth to put.At least it is my opinion after 3 years of having it on my V6. Of course a lot of people will say that I am speaking BS and that 10-15 HP make no diff on our engines etc. Beleive me, they make. We are not blessed like T-guys to put chip and ad 30-40 HP, but better something than nothing at all. With some other mods it can be joy to ride our big fat cats.
Ultimate dream of each V6 is to become twin brother of Julian's car.
Hopre that you will not take it hard, it's just that all this with Julian
happened a week ago and we all are proud on him.

check GIAC,Wetterauer,Upsolute. Best on market for V6

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I see, thanks for the information, yes we I guess we all wish we could put a S.C. on our car, or just swap our engine entirely and get a 2.7T, but that's wishful thinking. Definetly, I'll look into a chip, which chip do you recommend? Again, thanks for the feedback, and I look forward to seeing all your cars one day.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
I would recommend Euro ones like Wetterauer and Upsolute. Typicaly they pull more power that those from US producers. Maybe Julian can chime in more on US chips.

·
Registered
7,337 Posts
GIAC and Wett are probably the two most popular ones. Neuspeed has a more conservative output, I don't know any members with it. I didn't know that Upsolute had a V6 chip, but again, I don't know of any members on here with it. APR and Revo don't have V6 apps.

So in order of preference I'd say:

Wett or GIAC
Neuspeed or Upsolute
none of the rest.

·
Registered
6,144 Posts
I never dyno'd my 01 GLX but the GIAC made a difference in throttle response and in the mid-range. On a lonely stretch I got it up to an indicated 155 mph (152 actual ( ALLEGEDLY.... The K&N drop in and Brospeed exhaust may have helped as well...

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Nenad said:
Upsolute chip for EU spec car data: V6

HP: from 193 to 211
Torque: from 207 lb/ft to 224 lb/ft
MPG: slightly better
Max speed: +3 km
Tons of dealers in US and Canada
www.upsolute.com
Unfortunately UPsolute does not offer the chip for the US-spec. 2.8l-30V Passat....Euro-spec only.

Despite member reports of improved acceleration, throttle response, mileage, etc. We could not get the gains that we could with the Euro-spec car when dynoed so it was pulled off the market. :oops: :shock:

I just re-checked with HQ to see if this was still the case and they said yes :oops: :(

1.8T and W8 no problem though :thumbup:

FWIW I'm not sure if anyone has dynoed the other US-spec chips from Wett or GIAC or Neuspeed to confirm their gains, would be interesting to see.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
scotty_passat said:
Nenad said:
Upsolute chip for EU spec car data: V6

HP: from 193 to 211
Torque: from 207 lb/ft to 224 lb/ft
MPG: slightly better
Max speed: +3 km
Tons of dealers in US and Canada
www.upsolute.com
Unfortunately UPsolute does not offer the chip for the US-spec. 2.8l-30V Passat....Euro-spec only.

Despite member reports of improved acceleration, throttle response, mileage, etc. We could not get the gains that we could with the Euro-spec car when dynoed so it was pulled off the market. :oops: :shock:

I just re-checked with HQ to see if this was still the case and they said yes :oops: :(

1.8T and W8 no problem though :thumbup:

FWIW I'm not sure if anyone has dynoed the other US-spec chips from Wett or GIAC or Neuspeed to confirm their gains, would be interesting to see.
That is pitty, when I was considering 3 years ago chipping V6 only thing why I did not took UPsolute was that in that time in Russia there was not dealer, so I opted for Digi-Tec with simmilar characteristics.Otherwise UP was on 1st place of my list

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
julianfang said:
Let's not open that whole can of worms again yes?
HeHe it's a big can. :lol:

Just stating that UP got a lot of scrutiny, enough that the chip was pulled, yet I've not seen the same "passion" for testing the others. The comment is not meant as a dig on the other chips because I don't do that. It's completely possible they figured out "the secret" to getting power.

BTW I was not with UPsolute back then but I've read all the threads. :suspicio:

Here is an intersting "blurb" from Dinan (BMW tuner), I wonder if some of these factors came into play? :???:

http://dinancars.com/html/dtbmw01.html

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I say we open the can slightly, cause it would be nice to see if the numbers that all the manufacturers state are real or not.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had Upsolute chip installed 3 years ago here in US. I absolutely could not feel any increase in power, but it did improve the throttle response. That's it. Just as noted in earlier replies, only european vehicles had measurable increase in power. Perhaps that is why Upsolute no longer provides V6 30V chips here in US. I would say that spending money for a V6 chip by itself is not worth the $$.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
About this Discussion
21 Replies
8 Participants
dsk64
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing