Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK...I replaced all of my lines with silicone hose; pretty easy except for one line (which I left 'as is'). The line in question leads from the firewall side of the intake manifold (where most all of the connections are), to the IMT valve located at the front of the intake manifold.

From what I could find here, I gather that the IMT valve actuates the intake manifold's runner (I'd presume for variable intake induction). What I'm unclear on is the connection at the IMT valve, because it does not 'feel' as if there's a connection 'barb' there.

I've read the how-to's (and also checked the EKTA diagrams) on how to access the valve (removal of coil packs) and also have seen the cautions regarding the spring on the back of the valve (that may fall on its removal). What I'm UNCLEAR on is IF there's a connection barb at the valve and how (can you?) get to it? Once the valve's removed and in your hand can you release the actuator arm and does that expose the connection barb?

Appreciate responses from those who've been there; like I said 95% of the lines were very easy to do...I was leary of replacing this one until I got some group feedback...THX!!!

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
27,883 Posts
I'm curious to know about this one as well, sinnce I'm about to undertake this task.

8,184 Posts
The whole thing comes off and its in your hands. just note where it was before you toke it out and replace it just the way it came off. Its cake the nipple is right there and oncwe off you will clearly see

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pson...am I correct that releasing the actuator arm on the IMT will (expose) the connection barb? I do understand the need to remove the IMT from its mounting, due to access restrictions from the fuel line runners.

8,184 Posts
Pson...am I correct that releasing the actuator arm on the IMT will (expose) the connection barb? I do understand the need to remove the IMT from its mounting, due to access restrictions from the fuel line runners.
Hmm the fuel lines were not an iusse for me at all the only thing in my way was the coil pack which I toke it off and out of the way. Then two hex bolts out and pop it came off and the spring fall in my hand. the vac line was on the bottom of it. pulled it off and put the new on on. then put it back the way it came off and all done. But I didn't change any vac line that when into the firewall ether?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, got it. I'm pretty sure it's a fuel line (solid tube ~1/2" o.d.) runs in front of the connection at the IMT (it's what prevents your hands from reaching the connection point at the IMT), but I could be wrong. As for my saying the connections were at the firewall (they're not), I was only using the word (firewall) to indicate direction...'firewall-side' connections! THX!

8,184 Posts
OK, got it. I'm pretty sure it's a fuel line (solid tube ~1/2" o.d.) runs in front of the connection at the IMT (it's what prevents your hands from reaching the connection point at the IMT), but I could be wrong. As for my saying the connections were at the firewall (they're not), I was only using the word (firewall) to indicate direction...'firewall-side' connections! THX!
Yeah I just really read the post...lol. But yup that thing comes right out and the vac line is super easy to pull out and put the new one in. You will be like crap why did I even ask.
BTW whats up with people in Ohio using Bill goats ass user names? I know another cat from a diff forum that uses that same name too...and a few others like Da goat and stuff. Any thing behide that??

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pson...cool, thx! As for the Billygoat thing, I don't know. Mine is a play on my last name (sounds like goat) and my first name (yah...bill; billy when I was little...billygoat. Don't know about the Ohio connection to goats, but we do have a lot of them here; in fact, my neighbors (I'm in an 'aggie' part of the state) have a dozen or so; they're kind of cool farm animals!

8,184 Posts
Pson...cool, thx! As for the Billygoat thing, I don't know. Mine is a play on my last name (sounds like goat) and my first name (yah...bill; billy when I was little...billygoat. Don't know about the Ohio connection to goats, but we do have a lot of them here; in fact, my neighbors (I'm in an 'aggie' part of the state) have a dozen or so; they're kind of cool farm animals!
No problem I have done just about everything to my V6 so I have been there and done that...The worst was the TB...but if you take your time its cake. Plus I am from the burgh so Ohio isn't that far (I think) so GTG could be helpful for you

·
Registered
633 Posts
When I replaced this vac line I removed the IMT valve from the front of the intake. The only thing you really have to watch out for is the connection of the lever arm to the rotating shaft in the intake. There is spring between the two that would suck to lose if you didn't realise it was there. so just undo it slowly and be ready to catch it.
as far as the hose barb goes it is inset into the IMT vacuum valve housing. I ended up carefully cutting the tube away from it. like Pson says just go for it you'll figure it out when you see the old tube off.
good luck let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Was waiting for the weather to warm back up and yesterday turned out to be the perfect day! Changing the line to the IMT was a snap (pson, u were right!) and thx for the warning re: /the spring. I'll see if this clears my P01423 code for good now. Side note to pson: the 'hardline' I referenced in my original posting runs to the A/C compressor; this is the line that prevents access to the IMT valve.

On a related note, I'd posted (w/in another thread) re: rodent problems in the engine bay; and think I found where mine were nesting. If you see evidence of droppings on top of the intake manifold and if you also find evidence where the top of the manifold runners meets the top of the valve cover (rt. bank), I'd STRONGLY suggest you remove your coil packs and IMT valve, and check where the manifold bolts to the upper block (look forward and toward the right bank)! Let's put it this way; I sucked out a two-bedroom apartment with my shopvac!

One last note: try to locate where the mice enter your garage and remedy (I did); use snap traps as opposed to bait (I found a 'warehouse' of bait pellets!) and hopefully, your infestation will be solved!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oops...

...Side note to pson: the 'hardline' I referenced in my original posting runs to the A/C compressor; this is the line that prevents access to the IMT valve.

I meant to say P/S pump, not A/C compressor; was thinking (ob.) of something else!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts