Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had noticed a whirring sound and rhythmic click on my car 2002 B5.5 V6 for the past few days. I lifted the hood and noticed that it seemed to be coming from the accessory (serpentine) belt. After closer inspection I noticed that the belt had small cracks in several areas. I also noticed a spot where the belt has a notch about 1cm where the ribs are completely gone.

The car has 115K miles on it. I had the timing belt and the accessory belt changed at 60K. I know I need to change the accessory belt as soon as possible. My question is this kind of wear normal for the accessory belt? Will the timing belt be in as poor condition as the accessory belt? I was planning on getting about 70K out of my current timing belt. Based on the V6 timing belt survey I felt that I might have changed the timing belt about 10K premature?

Also how about the accessory belt tensioner? Should I swap this out when doing the belt or should I replace the belt first and then if I still hear noise try the tensioner?

TIA

8,184 Posts
Well if it was done before then you should be good...my sept belt looked bad really bad and then that made me change my TB but my TB looked unreal and could have gone another 30,000 miles cake. plus the belt is cake to change your self and its only 25 bucks for a new one

1 - 6 of 6 Posts