Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Not sure if any of you can get 'Volkswagen Driver' magazine outside Uk but the feature car for July's issue is a 1998 1.9tdi b5 that has had an Audi S4 v6 2.7lt twin turbo engine transplanted into it by 'tsr performance ltd'

The current power is 420 ps at 6000rpm, through the front wheels, looks wise it is pretty bog standard with the only exception of some 18" rims, so is a bit of a sleeper. The conversion is available for £11,000 ($20,000).

If only they did do a b5 with real power, even the w8 is a bit lame compared with the engines available in its Audi A4 sisters cars.

I would put some pictures of it on here but i havn't a clue how to do it (but if some can either tell me how or follow the link and put them on for me), so have included the weblink to the magazines website and picture of the b5:

Magazines website : www.volkswagendriver.co.uk

Picture link : http://www.autometrix.co.uk/images/VWD/jul04/julyvw.jpg

If anyone is interested in reading the full write-up of this car then please email me and i will scan it and email it back to you.

Thanks

Peter

·
Registered
745 Posts
hum, i think there are afew users here that did a similar conversion... I am 100% sure but i think there are 1 or 2! Why would wv do such a car? the passat is seen as a affordable familly sedan... If VW put such an engine in a car like that then it wouldnt be a family sedan anymore and offcourse the price would go sky high (just like the S4 and audi alikes)! Now VW didnt even do good with the phaetton! I think the W8 is powerful enough as a family sports sedan, off course the more power the better but that would mean more money invorlved and that would take the reason why the passat was made for. IMO

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
r3awak3n said:
hum, i think there are afew users here that did a similar conversion... I am 100% sure but i think there are 1 or 2! Why would wv do such a car? the passat is seen as a affordable familly sedan... If VW put such an engine in a car like that then it wouldnt be a family sedan anymore and offcourse the price would go sky high (just like the S4 and audi alikes)! Now VW didnt even do good with the phaetton! I think the W8 is powerful enough as a family sports sedan, off course the more power the better but that would mean more money invorlved and that would take the reason why the passat was made for. IMO
Yes but Audi do plenty of family sedan's as you call it but then they do the specials such as the S and RS range which have the power and handling to match, just like bmw and mercedes do with the m class and amg, which take the car to the next level, where as the Passat just gets the W8 engine in a normal passat body.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I say if you want a mory sporty look and feel than get an R32! Sure it cant compete wit an M3 but its much cheaper than an M3! Also if VW went into that field (even though they are the owners of Audi meaning they are getting money for the S, RS) then why would they do such a range wit VW? I mean, it prob wouldnt sell.. Ppl are not used to seeing VW making such powerful expensive cars and it would probably just happen like the phaetton (very nice car, saw one like a week ago and it looks real good but it didnt sell much)! I dunno, probably a more sporty passat, more HP, faster, better handling and more agressive body style would sell but i really think only VW or even only passat fans would invest on such a thing, others would probably just buy a BMW, Audi or Mercedes!

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes i see your point r3awak3n but you would think they would at least give you the options of the 180bhp and maybe the 225bhp engines that they give the rest of the vw/audi range with the 1.8t engine, the b5 could do with it especially with its weight + they give the Skoda octavia and Seat Toledo a better range of engines than they do for the Passat, it seems to be the forgotten range.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
r3awak3n kinda' hit the nail on the head. People don't realize the VW line up as any kind of performance line up. So, instead of paying for the 3.2 VR6 Passat with DSG and 4Mo, they buy a frickin' Bimmer. So they aren't really consumer car. Their enthusiast cars. At least once you get into performance numbers, that is. :thumbup:

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I<3myW8 said:
r3awak3n kinda' hit the nail on the head. People don't realize the VW line up as any kind of performance line up. So, instead of paying for the 3.2 VR6 Passat with DSG and 4Mo, they buy a frickin' Bimmer. So they aren't really consumer car. Their enthusiast cars. At least once you get into performance numbers, that is. :thumbup:
I think maybe Vw have too many brands now, so the only people their in competition with is theirselves in the lower ranks when you look at vw. skoda & seat, they are all aimed at the same market, alot use the same body parts/engines and running gear but just aimed at different budgets, The b5, skoda octavia and A4 use the same gear, the golf, A3 and Seat Leon all use the same gear maybe if they ditch the skoda name which they have pumped so many millions into, to try and change the public's perception of the brand, which hasn't worked and just brand it as a vw and give you the same standard equipment that they chuck on the skoda's oh and drop the price a bit.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I dunno PSM20VT, they could try it but the only more expensive car that I saw VW put out didnt get any sucess. I dunno about the W8 but I saw 1 till now and thats in europe so i dunno! I do agree wit u about skoda, it doesnt have a good name in europe, but it does sell well in czeck republic.. I was there some time ago and there are so many skodas, its the car u see the most.. they are also affordable!
They could prob ditch that brand and put more money into VW cuz it has more name and more enthusiasts but those that are enthusiasts will stay wit VW no matter wat they do while other ppl wont want to try it because they are not known in the luxury and sports car! (also not to talk that VW sevice sux ass, at least in the US.. all i hear in the forum is complaints about it)
Lets see how the passat B6 comes out (I do agree that the car needs a little more power for its weight.. 200 HP or such would be appropriate)

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
PSM20VT said:
If only they did do a b5 with real power, even the w8 is a bit lame compared with the engines available in its Audi A4 sisters cars.
I'm still shocked that tuners aren't using this conversion on a 4 Motion transmission platform. I doubt VW is going to install >340HP engines in Passats because it will take away from Audi's market. If you want a Sports Sedan buy an Audi, but if you want a family sedan buy the Volkswagen.

·
Registered
745 Posts
The Swami said:
PSM20VT said:
I'm still shocked that tuners aren't using this conversion on a 4 Motion transmission platform. I doubt VW is going to install >340HP engines in Passats because it will take away from Audi's market. If you want a Sports Sedan buy an Audi, but if you want a family sedan buy the Volkswagen.
Also, if you got money buy the audi. If you can't afford the audi, buy the VW!

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The Swami said:
PSM20VT said:
I think reading the write up that the running gear from the S4 is going to be put on in the near future, due to lack of grip, to give it 4 wheel drive. If i could afford an Audi i would buy one (RS6) :)

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
r3awak3n said:
I dunno PSM20VT, they could try it but the only more expensive car that I saw VW put out didnt get any sucess. I dunno about the W8 but I saw 1 till now and thats in europe so i dunno! I do agree wit u about skoda, it doesnt have a good name in europe, but it does sell well in czeck republic.. I was there some time ago and there are so many skodas, its the car u see the most.. they are also affordable!
They could prob ditch that brand and put more money into VW cuz it has more name and more enthusiasts but those that are enthusiasts will stay wit VW no matter wat they do while other ppl wont want to try it because they are not known in the luxury and sports car! (also not to talk that VW sevice sux ass, at least in the US.. all i hear in the forum is complaints about it)
Lets see how the passat B6 comes out (I do agree that the car needs a little more power for its weight.. 200 HP or such would be appropriate)
The thing with the Skoda's is its the czeck's national car, so they love them to bits and untill vw took them over they were dam awfull cars, the running jokes used to be: why do skoda put the engines in the back, the answer to keep your hands warm while your pushing it & how do you double the value of a skoda, answer fill the tank up with petrol, the same as the Seat is the Spanish car.

Over here you can get the Skoda Octavia with a 180hp engine (same size car as b5) and the run of the mill Audi A4 1.8t gets 210hp. The B5 is also aimed at the company car market here and most of the same spec cars as the b5 get upwards of 180hp engines. :)

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
how's the torque steer, or is a 4-motion?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.