Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the forum and my car. Anyways I have a 2004 GLX 4-mo with a V-6 (2000 mi or so). I checked the oil today and was surprised to see that the car was a quart low. Is this common, I've owned just about every other engine VW has produced and have'nt seen this kind of oil consumption. Is this a trait that I will have to get used to, or will it slow down a bit as break in takes effect.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Welcome! I have a 2000 V6. I've noticed that there is oil consumption, but not at any precribed rate. Sometimes I need to add some, sometimes I don't. No leaks, no burn that I can see.
BTW, I just got the Bently manual. I changed my oil the other day and noted that it said that the V6 used 6.5 qts. The owners manual states 5.7. While I know this isn't that much, it just made me wonder if that had something to do with it. Checking the oil in this car is hit or miss anyway, especially when the oil is clean. LOL Sometimes it shows up on the stick, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it takes several dips to get a feel for where it is hitting on the stick.
Michael

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
Fourmo...welcome to the club!

A word of advice...get religious about checking your oil. Every fillup may be excessive, but once a month may be too long. I'm driving a 1.8T and I check it every other fill (not that it's using any, but I want to be the first to know).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts