Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

useful guages not pre-installed.

2K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  modifiedA4 
#1 ·
what's the cheapest and best way to install guages into my car for the features most other cars have, but VW left off?
i saw a screen mounted in a radio device cubby-hole. but i want something cheaper, and more simplistic.

#4 ·
Depends which gauge pod you buy, and whether you make the mistake of drilling holes through the airbag assembly during installation. In any event, it's probably a good idea to use epoxy to help hold the pod in place, to greatly increase the amount of force needed to pop the pod off the airbag cover in a crash. The airbag will still work; it comes out from the side of the pillar closer to the door than the windshield, thereby smashing the pod into the windshield instead of your face.

#6 ·
This will cost some money, but I am thinking the only truly satisfactory option is to replace my single-DIN Monsoon head unit and my single-DIN in-dash CD player with a single-DIN combined radio/CD head unit, which would then free up one DIN for a triple gauge set (oil temperature, oil pressure, boost). The other option is to replace the in-dash CD player with a wayback-mounted CD changer.

#7 ·
you could dump the in dash player for an MP3 device and an AUX input, freeing up a DIN spot also.
just as...not free as the changer, but another option.

#8 ·
search for gauges. i was looking through them and found an electronic multi gauge posted. i'd find it but i don't care to look again, and it wasn't cheap :p

BUT, depending on what you're looking to monitor, it may be an end all solution for you. :thumbup:

#13 ·
Thanks for the repost of your pictures, Patrick. I had forgotten about your setup, and it does indeed appear satisfactory. Who was your parts supplier, and did you happen to compile a list of needed parts, such as a T-fitting for the oil pressure sender?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.