Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am looking to purchase a used Passat for my wife who currently has a 99 Prelude. We have been looking at 2001 GLS' with 1.8T, AT, sunroof, and cold weather packages. Ideally, we would like to have cloth seats with seat heaters. I noticed that this combination is hard to find on Passats that are newer than 2001. My question is, are the changes in the 2001.5 and 2002 model years significant enough for us to put up with leather seats? Thank you for your response!!

·
Registered
274 Posts
Well if you call around 3000 changes not significant enough then go with the older one. :lol:

I personally like the newer styling but with all the changes you can't see I think the newer ones are better designed.

·
Registered
5,860 Posts
Well, i have a 01 :b5: , not the :b5: .5, and i think you can go with a older one if you want too. 3000 changes huh VWs4Ever, hummmm ok lol. The main changes are the outside styling (Same body so, just worked up diff,) and the insides have been modify on the gauges look, back armrest and so. I think the new ones look great but i love mine as well. As for the leather, it is actually easier to clean then cloth. The cold weather package is nice too. Mine as everything you talked about with a 5 speed instead of AT, no regrets......i love the car....Good luck...Rah..... :b5: :thumbup: .

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
I say go for the 5.5, I have my 2004 and I love the body styling and the cup holders. There is probably a mechanical difference too that I don't know about, but I say newer is generally better :)

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
RAH - VWs4Ever was talking about an ad slogan used by VW when they introduced the "New Passat" (2001.5 model year only). VW claimed to have made that many changes to the car.

Nixima - You might want to check out www.autotrader.com and www.cars.com if you already haven't. :thumbup:

·
Another Rollininstyle2004 teaser
13,138 Posts
D.Passat00 said:
i wouldn't get a car the first year a major upgrade has been made (like 2001.5), but that's just me.
I think that saying goes for the first model year of a "new" car while the B5.5 was different then the B5 i wouldnt count it as a new model, like from the MKIII to the MKIV that is a significant change and a whole new model. I aggree with the never buy first model year, but not with this one :???:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey, thanks for the replies!! I have been out on cars.com and autotrader along with a dozen other sites. I did some research on the changes that were made and they didn't seem really significant to me. It would be nice to have usable cupholders though. Sounds like I can't go wrong with either choice. It probably comes down to the advantages and disadvantages of leather. Anyone have any advice as to problem areas I should look out for when looking at these used Passats?

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
rollininstyle2004 said:
D.Passat00 said:
i wouldn't get a car the first year a major upgrade has been made (like 2001.5), but that's just me.
I think that saying goes for the first model year of a "new" car while the B5.5 was different then the B5 i wouldnt count it as a new model, like from the MKIII to the MKIV that is a significant change and a whole new model. I aggree with the never buy first model year, but not with this one :???:
i wasn't referring to just Passat's but all cars in general. not saying i wouldn't buy it, but that it'd have to be one helluva deal. of course, my '00 is the first to have DBW. anyway, i guess to each his own. if it were me, i'd get an '02 or an '01, and skip the '01.5

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
D.Passat00 said:
On the contrary... my 01.5 has had 0 problems save a burnt out O2 sensor. From all the horror stories I hear about 02's and 03's I am glad I didn't get one :nervous:

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
nixima said:
Hey, thanks for the replies!! I have been out on cars.com and autotrader along with a dozen other sites. I did some research on the changes that were made and they didn't seem really significant to me. It would be nice to have usable cupholders though. Sounds like I can't go wrong with either choice. It probably comes down to the advantages and disadvantages of leather. Anyone have any advice as to problem areas I should look out for when looking at these used Passats?
I personally like the look and easy cleaning of leather better than cloth, but its personal preferance. Things to look out for

The control arms on the old B5 models were very prone to failure (supposedly redesigned on the B5.5's, and I haven't had any problems with mine in 35k miles)

The coilpacks in the B5.5 1.8t's, this was a major problem that VW just recently fixed. Be weary of any owner that failed to replace his under the recall (I'm sure VW missed a few people). Thats about it in terms of major problems. The brake booster lines and wheel well liners were recalled on b5.5's, so check those, and I understand that some of the old B5's had problems with the Fuel Sender Unit (tells the gauge how much gas is in the tank)

I personally like the styling of the B5.5 better (I love those headlights and hood creases :lol:) Again, it all comes down to personal preference. Cup holders I am told are a pain in the ass on the b5's also :lol:

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
D.Passat00 said:
rollininstyle2004 said:
D.Passat00 said:
i wasn't referring to just Passat's but all cars in general. not saying i wouldn't buy it, but that it'd have to be one helluva deal. of course, my '00 is the first to have DBW. anyway, i guess to each his own. if it were me, i'd get an '02 or an '01, and skip the '01.5
Wasn't DBW introduced on the B5.5 :???:
I didn't know they put it on the late year B5's :roll:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I received the carfax report on a 2001 GLS and it did not have any information on any recalls or parts replaced. I would assume recall and service information should be in the carfax report, right? I could still get the recall parts replaced for free, right?

·
Registered
442 Posts
AFAIK, the coil pack problem was not declared an official recall by VOA, and they don't report recalls to Carfax in anyway. Check out Edmunds.com if you haven't already - there is detailed recall / TSB info in the Maintenance area. I can't vouch for the accuracy, but it seems to jive with info elsewhere.

I only find an electrical connection on the TB of my B5 (3/22/00 build); nothing mechanical, so I assume it's a DBW, but I'm far from a guru on this stuff.

Personally, I prefer the mono-no-chrome look of my :b5: to the newer ones.

Salud 8)

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Besides better cup holders, B5.5 have the 1.8T Audi power plant with 20Hp more than earlier B5s.

I bought used last year after looking at many Passats. Common probs I saw were worn rear brakes, oil leaks at valve covers, and electrical glitches. Be sure to check that all electrical features function. Also look for clean oil on the dipstick and oil service history. Some 1.8T without faithful lubes can have oil pressure issues. These turbo engines run <4 quarts of oil. Without due attention sludge and coke (like coal) will build up and affect the oil pressure.

If you live in MN you deserve to sit on a leather covered heating pad.
Good shopping.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
DBW was introducted on the 2000 model year eng code ATW, and as far as the 20 extra Hp goes who cares/You know if its a turbo its going to get chipped. In my opinion as far as the b5 vs b5.5 debate goes I would consider it more cosmetic that mechanical. Really it should come down price/condition of the individual vechicle that you come across since you are talking about a pre-owned car. Mine is a 2000 with 89k and have had no problems except some crusty vacume lines. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, we found the perfect car yesterday and traded in the Prelude fora 2002 GLS white exterior and tan cloth interior the sunroof package, sound system upgrade, and cold weather package. After looking all weekend at used 2001s and 2002s for sale online I did not find this combination of packages and colors, but yesterday I found it!! I did make sure all the electrical stuff worked and the engine looked clean, brakes looked good also. Thanks again for all of your posts on this thread. I'll be hanging out on this site full time. Later....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
12 Participants
nixima
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing